Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow "N Sear Calibration Cook Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow "N Sear Calibration Cook Results

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I thought I would start by sharing the results of my first calibration cook with the SnS. I have been cooking on 22 inch Webers for tens of years, so I am familiar with how to make it perform. However, I now want to perfect my technique in the low-and-slow arena, so I bought the SnS to see what was possible.

​Summary of results following the SnS directions:

1. I was able to get the grill temperature to "stabilize" in the mid-230 degrees. There were oscillations of about +/- 8 degrees.

2. The calibration started at noon on a sunny 91 degrees, windless day in California. I started with the Weber in full sun until my over temperature alarm sounded at 250 degrees. I notice some smoke coming from under the lid, so added the binder clamps. Lower vent was about 1/8th open, top vent 1/2 open.

3. Moved Weber into the shade and the grill temperature dropped to 228 degrees in 10 minutes! <-A lesson learned!

4. At the 8 hour mark, I checked the fuel (Kingsford Blue) and water. There was about 1/3 of the fuel left and maybe one cup of water.

5. At 10 hours, the setup was still chugging along at about 217 degrees, so I opened the top vent to 100%. Within 15 minutes, the grill temperature climbed to 239 then 1.5 hours later it was 284 degrees! Bed time for me!

Conclusions:

1. Sun on the Weber can have a huge effect on the grill temperature.

2. Long cooks of 8 - 10 hours are possible on one chimney load of coals - maybe longer.

3. Keep the bottim vent open halfway between 1/8 and full closed - the technical term for this setting is "a crack", I think. The top vent can be used to control the grill temperature by adjusting between 1/2 - 1/4 open while there is plenty of fuel. Open it more as fuel gets closer to being used up and the temperature falls.

As a result of the calibration cook, I'm considering swinging for the fence next weekend by attempting a full packer brisket.

Cheers!

Welcome to the Pit! Looks like you'll fit in well around here ...

Comment

Welcome aboard OneEyedJack. What a cool intro, already at work! Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Welcome OneEyedJack
        Last edited by DWCowles; July 14, 2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Black kettle or one of the newer colors? If I had to get my Genesis again, I'd've gotten a color. The black raises temps in the sunny part of the day.

Comment

Pot, yes, black kettle,

​Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm all in now. Just stopped by a local butcher store to inquire about the lead time to get a cryo-vac full packer - they had one at 12.5 lbs. and I bought it. Man, that's a scary looking piece of meat in real life! It will sit in my frig through next week and I am planning on a cook for Saturday. I have a group of friends that like coming over for my cooking experiments and they will be on this test flight. It gives me a solid week to plan this cook in detail. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Comment

I've been cutting my teeth with the SnS over the last couple of months or so, also with a 22" Weber kettle. Mine is a green kettle, rather than black, but I've also noticed a roughly 10 degree, plus/minus a few, from shade to sun, which I can use to my advantage, depending on the situation. Also noticed how much wind makes a dfference. Even on a hot summer day here in Texas, a light to moderate breeze can also make a several degree difference. So plan accordingly for the wind as well. Leakage under the lid made it harder for me to regulate consistent temps, so the clamps have made a difference. Considering a lid gasket on of these days.

If/when you get temps stabilized before you put the meat on, once you do, especially if it's a large piece, you'll notice it changes the temp dynamics and may well require adjusting your vents to accommodate.

Question- How many lit coals were you starting with?

Comment

• OneEyedJack
                OneEyedJack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm following the instructions that came with the SnS - 12 coals to light then a whole chimney of coals. I was thinking that throwing a large chunk of meat in there will change the temp so will monitor closely when in the kettle.

Welcome to The Pit OneEyedJack! Nice writeup. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Welcome to the pit OneEyedJack, you are going to love that SnS. Don't to post pics of the brisket results. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ!

Comment

Getting nervous here, folks! I'm planning on putting the meat on at 0300 on Saturday and shooting for serving no later than 1900. Planning on wrapping at about 150 degrees and faux cam. for 2 - 3 hours. Do you think I'm in the ballpark for timing on this? Too much time? I read that the brisket can be held at 170 degrees. How long is allowable?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just hold off wrapping if you see things are speeding along very quickly.

OneEyedJack I'm not the brisket guy, so let's ask Jerod Broussard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here