Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Need advice reheating / further cooking beef short ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Need advice reheating / further cooking beef short ribs

We're serving Beef Short Ribs as per these instructions tomorrow night - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/BBQ_beef_ribs.html.

I wanted to smoke them & cook them through fully on the weekend, but ran out of time... They were cooking for over 8 hours, but only reached 180F - 185F before I had to go out. They had been in the oven to finish, so I left them in there with the power off for a few hours.

They will have kept cooking, but I'm pretty sure they would have never reached 203F - so I'm concerned that the fat won't have rendered / melted.

They're in the fridge waiting to be re-heated for dinner (wrapped tightly in clingfilm) - and we will need to use an oven to reheat them. The question is, do I:

1. Reheat them in the oven as per http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...over_ribs.html, in foil with water at 225F until they hit 155F

2. Cook them at a higher temp and/or cook them to a higher internal temp to get more fat rendered

3. Something else.

Thanks in advance!

I would bet that they are already "cooked" as much as you want. It not so much the final temp as how long a time they spent at temps above the 160-170 range. I would carefully reheat them only to serving temp rather than risk "cooking" them much more. I've even done leftover ribs in the microwave. Enjoy!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid advice. Like DWCowles below, beef broth is a nice add for reheating instead of water. I will even use a bit of red wine if it won't mess with the flavor profile (goes nicely with BBBR, but if you like the bite of BBBR, can blunt it a bit).

I like using beef broth instead of water whenever I reheat beef. BTW...Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Thanks guys... I've got a mixed crowd, so maybe I'll cook half with beef stock and half with red wine... The ribs are cut individually, so lots of BBBR on them - some people may prefer some bite taken out.

Comment

If you have access to a vacuum sealer, I'd seal them up and put them in a pot of water at 145 F. for about 30 minutes (or longer if it's more convenient for you) to reheat them. You can do the same thing with ziplock bags if you don't have a sealer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here