Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aged Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aged Beef

Here are some pics of a prime rib I dry aged last year and cut into steaks.
    Day 1 and 2. Sitting in a fridge in the garage on a roasting rack. In the pan is rock salt. There is about 1" of space underneath the rack to the top of the salt, so the air can circulate all the way around.
    Attached Files

Day 3 and 4.
    Inside the fridge door was a small PC fan blowing air above the meat. This kept the air circulating and helped the surface dry.
    Attached Files

Comment

Day 7 and 11.
      Attached Files

Comment

Day 12!
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome Carnivore how was the dry age prime rib

Comment

Day 17.
            Attached Files

Comment

Day 26.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                Welcome Carnivore how was the dry age prime rib

It was amazing! Total time from memory was around 38 days. There was quite a bit to cut off. Probably a half inch goes to leather, that's why I got it with the bones in. Next time I will look for a piece with a bigger fat cap.

The surface of the meat goes very waxy as the fibers shrink and everything closes up. It seems to seal itself in a crust after a couple of weeks. I borrowed a lot of ideas from Kenji Lopez-Alt's post on seriouseats.com. Plus I talked to some people at David Burke's Grillhouse in Chicago. Their dry aged beef is great.

Once you cut it open you get a very rich earthy smell. The meet had a huge triangle shape of fat running through the center so I cut a lot of that out and melted it and used it to baste the steaks at around 125, then i seared them over a hot fire. It's definitely something I want to try again. I've never had such tender steak.

Comment

This is where I got the idea from. It's a great article because it sorts the science from the bs!
                  Basically the same setup except I had the salt pan. The salt had turned to a hard crust by the end so I figure it must have absorbed some moisture and stopped the outside of the meat growing mold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here