Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Brisket Buzzkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Brisket Buzzkill

I know brisket inquiries are a constant in the forum. Pardon one more. I reach out hoping for some feedback on my failure. See pics.

Felt like the strategy was legitimate but did not lead to the results I had hoped for. Here's what I did.

- Went to WholeFoods got brisket (3.71 lbs). Just the lady and I this weekend.
    - Pre seasoned with S&P. Put directly in from fridge.
    - Setup was on MES 40".
    - Amazen bottom rack, water/drip pan 3rd rack, brisket 2nd rack.
    - Cooker pre-heated to 250 then dropped to 225.
    - Top vents wide open, chip loader 1/2 way in, chip tray was not installed.
    - Elected to cook meat side down because ... well because I never know what to do and thankfully there are only 2 choices.
    - Put meat on around 11:30. Anticipating 6-7 hour cook.
    - At 4,00 temp read 156 degress. Decided to clutch. Turned meat fat side up.
    - Shooting to eat around 8,00 (we had late lunch)
    - Deliberated on when to pull. 190?195? 203?* (the magic number apparently)
    - At 6,15 temp was only 176 (basically only raised 20 degrees in 2.25 hours).
    - Raised cooker temp to 250 because needed to accelerate cook time (it's Sunday afterall)
    - At 6,62 - 37 minutes since raised to 250 - went up 11 degrees. (3.36 degrees / minute).
    - At 7,48 pulled from smoker reached 203 degrees (16 degrees in 56 minutes / 3.5 degrees / minute)
    - Added an additional layer of foil to cover hole that was pierced by probe (not sure if I should have done that or not)
    - Note: when I crutched I added bbq sauce + little apple cider vinegar (atraditional move I know but I desired a little sauce tonight)
    - Placed triple wrapped brisket in disposable aluminum pan covered with three dish towels.
    - Put another disposable pan in top of lid and placed in microwave. Didn't have clean small cooler.
    - Placed dinner plate on top lid to minimize air gaps.
    - Let the resting/drinking/deliberation begin.
    - Drinking the Pinot Grigio now. Awaiting the Tuscan Red for dinner.
    *(Shamelessly I include these pics as I import the wines. But I do think you can make a case for Sangiovese and bbq)
    - A maze en pellet smoker* seemed to work well. Smoke was light but I don't mind that.
    * (Because having an electric smoker with digital thermostat, remote control and easy load wood chip device was TOO effortful. I had to get a device that you can light and smokes by itself for up to 11 hours. I'm actually embarrassed of who I've become bbq culinarily.)
    - Rest time was 2 hrs plus.
    - Cut some slices from thicker end to make burnt ends. Sautéed very hot in olive oil then put in residual bbq jus. The burnt ends came out pretty good (I think)
    - Results? Take away? C- / INADEQUATE. "See me after class."
    - Taste was good. Quite good. Lacked the authenticity of real wood/charcoal but beefy and legit.
    - Texture was not there, not at all there. Not pliable, juicy and moist enough.
    - Questioning; Did I smoke too long? Was the brisket cut from Whole Foods simply too lean? Would injection have helped (I never inject)? Did I need more rest (more than 2hrs)? What is "true love?" "Who invented liquid soap and why?"

- Please help. Thank you in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket Served.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	193562

Name:	Brisket Pic Thin Side.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	193563

Name:	Brisket Pic Thick Side.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	193564

Name:	Burnt Ends.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	193565

Name:	Brisket Dinner Plate.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	193566

Name:	Villa Puccini 3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	193567

Name:	Amazen Pellet.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	193568

To the question of "what is true love" I would respond with baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more. Sorry just had to do it.

Comment

You say: "Not pliable, juicy and moist enough." Does that mean it was tough and dry-ish? Perhaps it was just a tough cut? I've heard rendering fat/connective tissue from beef needs a little higher temp vs pork. I usually cook my beef brisket/ribs at 275-280 degrees... But I'm no expert. I just watch too many BBQ Pit Masters/ Pit Wars/ Smoked...

Comment

• l'inferno
        l'inferno commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, tougher and drier than what i desired. It was NOT totally assasinated and did still have some moisture but there was there was not the tenderness of my last brisket done on my Weber 22". In continuing to look at the Forum I wonder if my mistake was not checking once the brisket reached 190.

Did it pass the probe test (no resistance to the probe on the way in or pulling it out of the brisket)? My bet is it wasn't done. I've seen briskets go to 215 plus before giving it up.

Comment

• l'inferno
        l'inferno commented
        Editing a comment
        It seemed to but to be frank I think I could have done a better job of "testing" more diligently. My mistake may have been being a slave to time and specifically temp (203). Looking more at the Forum I surmise that no brisket behaves the same and each one cooks differently. Thanks for responding.

The great thing is that you have this cook under your belt now. The most intimidating thing to me about brisket was that I'd never cooked it before. My first was merely "okay" as well. If anything, I overcooked it. The first 3-4 times I cooked back ribs, I wasn't happy with them either. But, each time was an improvement. And now I'm pretty happy with them.

So, now you have the cook done, you know what all you did, and you're starting to get input. The next one will be better.

Comment

• l'inferno
        l'inferno commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the positivity. It was a let down because I thought I did everything correctly and my last brisket came out a lot better. But you're right. It was a learning experience as each BBQ cook is.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the path to cooking great Q almost as much as I love it when I get it really dialed in. And having this great forum to help me out makes it even better.

They invented liquid soap so we wouldn't have to use that pink granulated stuff anymore.

Comment

Almost as importantly... how was the wine?

Comment

• l'inferno
          l'inferno commented
          Editing a comment
          The wine was good. It numbed the pain and disappointment. Just kidding. I'm not a beer drinker and I think BBQ and wine are great together. Always looking for a good wine to go with the BBQ. I have not searched the Forum for wine conversation but I'm sure there is lot of conveersation.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          l'inferno - There is and it's right here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/beverages/wine
          Last edited by MBMorgan; July 12, 2016, 11:49 AM.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I love figuring out what wine to drink with BBQ. And discovering interesting combinations is a lot of fun.

First thing comes to mind,
        What grade of meat was it, Select? Choice? if select try a choice next time or a prime.
        What kind of thermometer are you using and is it calibrated to know if it is accurate?
        Is your thermometer also reading pit temp to know if it is what it is suppose to be.
        Never heard of using a microwave as a cambro but I think I would invest in a small cooler their cheap.
        Sounds underdone if it was tough, it should go till probe tender then rest at least an hour or two.
        Hope the next is better.

Comment

I purchased from Whole Foods so my assumption is Choice. I used the meat probe in the MES and its thermostat. But I also used a Thermapen which I tested in an Ice Bath. It was a few degrees off which I accounted for when I measured. From the Forum's feedback I think I could have been much more diligent in testing the meat by feel. I never knew you could beyond 203. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Just a tweek, but next one cooked in the electric, trim as much fat off the outside as you can. Fat doesn't render in an electric like it would over coals or in an offset cooker. Allot lots more time for cooking and try not to crutch. Electrics cook moist, so you don't really need to steam it done. It's much easier to hold til dinner (or reheat for dinner) than it is to force it done quickly.

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice. I have been confused by the need for the water pan in general because the MES's box is relatively small and insulated. Whatever is being cooked seems to inherently create a moist environment. Plus smoke adds some moisture too. Correct?
              I did need a water pan or at least a drip pan or some sort of foil barrier because I was using an Amazen pellet smoker device and needed to protect the pellets from drippings. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comment

Since it was from Whole food it most likely was an grass fed only Steer that the meat came from. Since it was small weight I'm guessing that it was the Flat portion of a...just went and looked at the photos again it does appear there was a flat and point? So most likely it was a very lean piece of meat. Even-though everybody frowns on Corn fed beef that is where the Fat comes from! without the Corn Cattle will not be graded as Select or higher just not enough intramuscular fat. So Grass fed cattle aren't usually presented for USDA grading. The fat is where the taste is. just my guess I have been wrong lots o times! And I will be again lol Try a brisket from Costco or Sams see if that makes a difference.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amen! Not to start a war, but "grass fed" is trendy, PC and is currently the rage in some circles, kinda like "natural" and "organic", but grain finished is where the flavor is, has been, and always will be.

l'inferno Lots of folks here do briskets without injecting, but I swear by it. I always inject flats. I've done them with/without, and with injecting is always better. I only use Butcher's BBQ Brisket Injection, though, because it has phosphates in it, and phosphates seem to work magic with my briskets.

Here's what Meathead has to say about it:

Many of the champs have been injecting the meat with a product called Fab B Light or Butcher BBQ Brisket Marinade, both moisturizers, tenderizers, and flavor enhancers. Fab B contains hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable oil, sodium phosphates, monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, xanthan gum, disodium inosinate, and guanylate. Butcher contains hydrolyzed vegetable protein (hydrolyzed soy and corn protein and salt, with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil [cottonseed, soybean] added), monosodium glutamate, sodium phosphate, and xanthan gum. Some traditionalists think this is way too Barry Bonds and are repulsed by the idea. The results speak for themselves. They are winning. A lot.

That said, Jerod Broussard , the Brisketmeister of the Pit, never injects. He uses a Pit Barrel Cooker like I do. I still swear by injecting flats though.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; July 13, 2016, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here