Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just purchased my first full packer, (I hope).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just purchased my first full packer, (I hope).

Someone posted in another thread here that Walmart carried both select and choice packers. All I had seen there was selects, so I stopped by there today, and they had one choice packer - I bought it. And it was $5 + less than the local grocery.
    So is this a full packer? I was expecting to be able to see the fat layer between the point and flat, but I don't - maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
    It has a "sell by" date instead of a processing date, so does anyone have an idea if I should age it, or how long?

I guess I have to go back and reread all the stuff I've read about briskets, and rewatch all the videos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y4961.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	192263

Name:	A07Y4966.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	192264

Name:	A07Y4968.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	192265

Name:	A07Y4971.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	192266

Name:	A07Y4973.jpg
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	192267

That is a packer brisket. You should be able to tell the difference between the point and flat once you get it out of the bag and begin trimming. I personally trim most of the fat between the two, almost to the point of separating the point and flat. As far as aging I really don't. I my buy one several days before cook but it stays in the bag until 48 hours before the cook. Then I remove it from the bag do my trimming, salt it, wrap it and put back in the fridge.

Comment

Looks like a packer to me. Once you get that bad boy trimmed up you'll see the point and flat a bit better.

Comment

By the blue ink on the bag you got a CHOICE full packer. Sweeeet.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          We know you are unquestionably the "King of Briskets" if you can judge the grade of a brisket by just the color of the text on the packaging.👌 Bowing to the King.😎

Thanx all for the comments.

Jerod Broussard - so what are the colors for select and prime?
        Last edited by RonB; July 9, 2016, 05:32 AM.

Comment

The USDA CHOICE stamp is also what the FBI would call a clue 😄

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm on my phone with no glasses colors mean everything.

• SlushDeezey
            SlushDeezey commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried to read a bottle of bathroom cleaner yesterday and couldn't do it. I like to snap a picture of small print with my phone and then zoom in on the pic to read it when that happens. Somehow I think my eye appointment this month isn't going to go as good as it has in the past.

Trim that baby up and get it in the smoker

Comment

Hey Robb, good looking brisket
            I've wet aged mine for up to 3.5 weeks with fantastic results.

Comment

I'd cook that bad boy this weekend and enjoy the ever livin' daylights out of it! Nice score!

Jerod Broussard - So blue ink is CHOICE, huh? What are the colors associated with the others grade of meat? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Black- Select. Red- Prime.

Once I got a Choice at Walmart that had black ink. I saw Choice when it was in the bin, and never realized the black ink until I was checking out and about freaked out.

Sam Kane's will have red ink on some of their stuff, and it ain't Prime, much less graded.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here