Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Homage To My Irish Roots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Homage To My Irish Roots!

Howdy My Meathead Maniac Friends!

I thought for some strange reason that I'd pay homage to my 0.001% Irish Forefathers this evening.

Tonight's cook consisted of scooped out baked potatoes, filled with some sort of filling, and the whole thing rebaked on the KK. So, without further ado, here is my homage to Erin.

The very first thing to do is have a couple of bakers well slathered with bacon grease. Yes, bacon grease. Yeah, I know, but if you don't use bacon grease, the neo-nazi health police win, and I'm trying to beat the back every day! If you don't have bacon grease in your kitchen, shame on you!

Next, I browned up some 90/10 hamburger meat, some red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, and some onion and garlic.

Here are the bakers on the main grate of TheBeast. I baked them for about an hour at 400F until a fork went in easily.

This is a picture of the browned hamburger, peppers, etc. ready for the potatoes.

Here are the spuds. As you can see, slit in half and scoop out most of the interior. I try and leave about 1/4" all the way around. Reserve the scooping for potato salad.

Tonight I laid down in the scooped potato a simple ragu as a base layer.

Put a heaping amount of the burger mixture in the potato.

Sauce again and top with your favorite cheese. For these I use shredded mozzarella cheese. Here are the assembled potatoes. They take about 15 minutes on the grill at 400F.

And finally, here is the money shot with Pete The Salt Pig granting approval to chow down!

These potatoes are really quite easy to do, especially on a weekday evening. Instead of hamburger, you can use pork sausage (Pete would not be so happy with that cook!), ground turkey or chicken, or chorizo etc. Instead of a ragu, you can use salsas, grilled and pureed fruit such as mangoes, peaches, etc. You can get as creative as you wish. After all, it's your dinner and you can do it any way you and your family desire.

From the time I lit the FOGO in the belly of TheBeast until I was 400F it was about 15 minutes. The potatoes took about an hour to bake to fork tender. To assemble it took no more than 15 minutes. Time on the grill for the stuffed potatoes was no more than 15 minutes. All totaled, from start to finish, this simple homage to my Irish roots took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I like this cook because there was lots of time to stay hydrated between the flurries of activity.

Thanks for looking. I appreciate it!

I have done something similar, but my final topping was crisp bacon.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be great. How can you go wrong with bacon? I"m a lazy old geezer at this point. For bacon I often use the real bacon bits I get in a megabuck at Sam's Club.

I order twice-baked potatoes all the time. Just been too lazy to do it at home. But you can believe that I do regular baked potatoes all the time in the smoker and on the grill (on the upper rack, off to the side of direct heat). Gotta try this sometime soon.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx - I love bakers of any sort on the kamado. It gets the skin kind of crispy and I love the hint of smoke taste.

Heck, out there where you live it gets so hot that you can bake potatoes on the sidewalk in the noonday sun!

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      A few weeks ago it hit 117F and my daughter literally fried an egg on our driveway just to see if it could be done. The temp in my smoker can hit 130F or higher just from the direct sun on it. (Yes, I actually pulled out the Mav and took a reading.)

Slainte!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Right back at ya, Mike!

(I don't know how to say that in Gaelic)

However, my Latin from Catholic school says "Et cum spirit tuo!"

Ya done good considering the fact that (based on my research) 0.001% of families in Ireland own a Kamado manufactured in Indonesia.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's just dadgummed funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Super cool!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      And super easy and super tasty!

That is a new twist on twice baked taters. I do them all the time but put the scraped taters in a big bowl and add butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, Toney's, pepper, fresh bacon, and crawfish tails. Refill the skins, back in the oven then retop with cheddar cheese.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Bacon bits would have been a heckuva topper. Forgot about that. Everything's better with bacon!

Nice cook CeramicChef ... Nice to see Pete's out of reha.😆

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Breadhead. I appreciate it. Pete sends his best to ya!

One assumes Pete abides the jar of bacon grease and its liberal reuse.

Tasty cook.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      SHHHHHH! He doesn't know about it. I keep it in the garage refrigerator!

That looks great -- thanks for the inspiration. I've come to use my smoke box as a primary cooking device on weekend days. Good to know there are some quicker applications for weeknight dinners. (This would be a great destination for some leftover pulled pork, or burnt ends, or ...)

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      EPH - Thanks for the comments! I appreciate it greatly. As for quick, easy, and tasty and a port for leftovers like pulled pork brisket, etc. you are spot on! The great thing here is that you are limited only by your imagination. Enjoy!

Now I'm hungry for a baked potato! 👍

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Joe - I just finished eating the last tater for breakfast … and it was even better reheated! Eat up my friend!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here