Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned beef problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned beef problem

About 4 days into the brining the fridge went haywire and froze the entire brisket and brine. We were gone for 4 days so now it's thawing out. Can I continue the brining when it thaws out or is it ruined?

I think it should be okay.

Comment

i would think that all that would do is slow things down.

Comment

That's what I thought but never happened before so I wanted some other opinions. Thanks guys.

Comment

If you can guesstimate how long it was frozen, I suggest you add that much time to the brining.

Comment

you may be on to something? The ice crystals are sharp and will tenderize the meat maybe allowing the brine to penetrate more. Or it might make the meat mushy (not saying bad just saying you may have corn beef hash) or a combo of both but it will still taste great! Let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by mad mike View Post
              About 4 days into the brining the fridge went haywire and froze the entire brisket and brine. We were gone for 4 days so now it's thawing out. Can I continue the brining when it thaws out or is it ruined?
              Beware of the refrigerator. Many times they will freeze and then the thermostat will go the other way and get stuck and not kick on and make the refrigerator hot hot hot.

Comment

I'll let y'all know how it turns out

Comment

mad mike Was it the flat,fat or the whole thing? I would think that the slow freeze would destroy the cell structure, As compared to a blast chill. Mushy at worst I would "guess." The fat side may stand a better chance is my "guess." Honestly, I would be more interested in having you finish it ASAP and see what it tastes like. I am completely curious as to how much flavor got in there and what the damage is if you proceeded now as if it was ready. Well when it defrosts anyway. Good luck.

Comment

It was the whole thing cut in half in a turkey size oven bag in a plastic bucket. The bag didn't tear or leak. I have it thawing out now and we're cooking it Monday night. I think it only got 3 or 4 days to brine so I'll brine it for 4 more.

Comment

I let it brine for 4 more days after it thawed out. It was just as good as normal. We cooked it Monday and there ain't none left.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here