Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12+ hour stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12+ hour stall?

I'm trying my first whole brisket today. Due to past experiences with thing taking way longer than expected, I took extreme precautions:
    - I put it on my Weber Spirit last night at about 9:00 pm (wanted to be ready for 5:00 dinner)
    - I separated the flat from the point before putting it on to create more surface area
    - I wrapped it in foil when it hit 150 (around midnight)

My BBQ temp has been at 225 all night last night and all day today per my Maverick, and now, a full 18 hours after I put it on, the brisket has slowly climbed to 190. Given that it was 170 this morning, at this pace it might be ready for breakfast tomorrow.

Wondering what I might be doing wrong? Some additional context:
    - Brisket was 13 lbs, so right in the ballpark of the recipe on this site
    - I didn't do a good job of wrapping foil, I wrapped it round like a mummy instead of creating a boat and crimping tight, I suspect that is part of the problem
    - I calibrated my thermometer with another digital thermometer and they are both reading the exact same on the inside

About an hour ago, I cranked the grill up to 270 because I can't wait to eat. I might have to skip the 2-hour chill period as well if I'm going to be in time for dinner.

Any advice?

You should be fine with that cook temp. I generally figure 1 1/2 hour per pound for large cuts, and allow a bit more for a cushion. So 18 hours for a 13 pound hunk sounds about right to me.

Comment

Next time, try a cooker temp of 270-275 the whole way. You'll get to/through the stall much faster & easier that way. Then wrap if you wish (I like paper) when you've got great bark. End result will be just as awesome and it'll happen quicker. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here