Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooooooo…my daughter and I ate our fill I definitely will bring the next brisket up in temp before pulling as the mini flat and the point were chewy. The probe test at 195 was tender but not "budda". I held the brisket in a cambro for 2.5 hours. I opened it at the 145 degree mark:

Temps held 239-243 for this cook by spritzing the lid frequently (thanks Medusa ) and using a heavy Al foil lid/bowl crimp (thanks fzxdoc ) about 16" of foil in length overall. The Al foil crimp certainly helped as the smoke was not pouring out like before. I think the biggest temp factor in this cook was that the weather was in my favor. During the 6 hour cook, outside temp only rose from 61 degrees at start to 66 degrees at finish.

Regarding smoke, I tend to go light on smoke flavor (preference). I normally use multiple 2 to 3 oz chunks of smoking wood but I decided to use 6 oz chunks this go around. My first 6 oz chunk was completely carbonized when I wrapped the point at 160 degrees (3.25 hr smoke). My second 6 oz chunk was 75% unburned. I had both chunks side by side on top of the briquettes…with the first chunk right on top of the initial 12 fully lit coals. I’ll go back to using 2-3 oz chunks to get enough smoke on the meat prior to wrapping. The finished product had a nice smoke flavor but it needed more. I liked the BBBR rub but my daughter did not like the pepper and chipotle zing. I’ll find a suitable rub that will create a win/win in the future. I promised her I’ll smoke a pork butt the next go around….she likey

Thanks to all for the help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 7x57mm; July 10, 2016, 05:50 PM. Reason: Wrong "pulled" cambro temp

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadgummit that is one great looking cook! Kudos. Where do I line up to get a serving of that brisket!

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Brisket Looks Wonderful!! Like the smoke ring! But I gotta ask Where the heck do you live that it was only 66 degrees!?!? it was 108 here in West Texas today I'm dreaming of 66! (65 to 74 is the butter zone for me!!)

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice Job! Good temp management, too. --Ed

It's so good to hear that you had more stable temperatures on your Kettle/SNS combo, 7x57mm . The brisket looks nice and juicy. Judging probe tenderness can be an art, especially with a brisket with mischief on its mind. I'd say you did darned good, and that the next one will be even better. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn! Practice makes perfect (or at least better )

Thanks CeramicChef ! Undoubtedly, there will be more smoked brisket in my future. For tonight's dinner, I added a pile of diced brisket point to some slow cooked cowboy ranch beans. Topped with grated cheddar, thinly sliced scallions, a side of fresh buttered cornbread and glass of ice cold Porter...I'm stretched to the point of discomfort.....almost

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Leftovers? Pics? Give a guy some hope here, will ya?

I believe my first brisket was around 6 pounds and was just the point, I followed the recipe exactly as written and it came out fine although it took longer than anticipated (around 13 hours), I also made the Texas sauce which we all enjoyed, it is on the tangy side though so be prepared if you make it.

Comment

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      Jocko 1; I'll be using the "probe test" as my guide in the future. Internal temp is important but "like budda" is more "bedda"

Errrr...maaa.grrrrr! Don' judge me but I've never had a chopped brisket sammich. How can leftovers possibly be BETTER than the original meal? Melty and slightly browned provolone, sauteed peppers and onion, chopped brisket on toasted garlic french bread and a simple vinaigrette salad served with a glass of Merlot. Like Neo from the "Matrix", I am fortunate I chose the red pill. What have all of you done to me? I'll catch that rabbit in the hole and smoke it
    Last edited by 7x57mm; July 12, 2016, 08:40 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections .... probably still not correct :)

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang your descriptions are like your on that TV show Chopped and your telling the judges what you made as their mouths water in anticipation!! I really dont need to be reading this stuff @ 2 in AM now I'm hungry !! lol

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here