Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carne Asada ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I say except "Thank you"!

Comment

It's been resting in the refrigerator since 5 PM last night. I will fire the grill up around 6 pm today. Can't wait!

Comment

I am finally getting around to cooking tbob4 s' recipe for carne asada. So today I went and picked up a pack of flank steak at Costco. I did a pretty good job of getting all of the ingredients for the marinade. I couldn't find the O'Douls mix, so I opted for something similar. And the Marg mix is Cuervo. I used a high end tequila that my brother had. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. But I think I should be fine. I got everything blended up and in the bag. I am going to give this till' Monday to marinate. Then its getting the KJ Jr.

The Marinade smelled very fresh and acidic. That means that meat should be broken down nicely!! Really looking forward to this one. Thanks tbob4 This smells like its gonna be killer!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Tbob4 Flank.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.97 MB ID:	274192Click image for larger version  Name:	Tbob4 Marinade.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.78 MB ID:	274193Click image for larger version  Name:	Tbob4 Marinade-bowl.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.40 MB ID:	274194

Comment

Looks wonderful Spinaker.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! This will be the second one I am trying from this thread. I am looking forward to getting this on the grill.

Man-o-man that looks better than mine!!!!!! You're killing me Smalls! Hahahahaha

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I am going to use the KEG for this batch, Gonna push her up too 700 F.. Then I can use my Griddle Grates. Thanks again for the recipe.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker - Did you cook it yet? I'm worried that it will be hotter/spicier than heck in the marinade by now.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, man it was perfect. I am working on the write up now. Thanks. Perfect heat.

Tonight I tried tbob4 's Carne Asada recipe. It was excellent. I used the KEG to cook the flank steak. Griddle Grates were in place and ready at about 650 F. Just to the edge of the recommended range.
          When I took the steak out of the bag, it had a great aroma. You could defiantly smell the acidic tomato and margarita mix. The tequila was noticeable as well. I used a spicy Bloody Mix because I like the heat and I wanted to kick this up a bit.
          After taking the meat out of the bag, I dried the surface of the meat, and threw it on the KEG.( I am using a split of Cherry wood right at the grate. )
          After searing, I let it rest for about 10 mins while I fried up some peppers and onions in my #8 Griswold. (This pan is unreal, best in my collection) I used some Avocado oil in the skillet for frying.
          After the rest, I sliced it and the first thing I noticed was an explosion of flavor. The amount of acid that goes into these marinades makes the flavor really bite, and its addicting. And when you pair it with a live fire, its something special. As long as you can plan ahead a day, this is an easy cook and a great dinner!

Cheers to tbob4 for the recipe. I would highly recommend this one.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada:board.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	275857Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada:Flame.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	275856Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada:Griswold #8.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	275858Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada Close Up.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	275859Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada:Done.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	275862Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada:Table.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	275860Click image for larger version

Name:	Carne Asada:Taco.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	275861

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell me more about that corn!!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker
            Great write-up, Brother! Awesome pics, now I gotta try this one!
            Especially LOVE th' Triple Redundancy cutting boards in pic 6!!!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            haha, you know Bones,.........I didn't even notice. hahahahaha. You can never be to careful!! Mr. Bones

If only there had been a little more wind from the north I could have smelled that cooking Spinaker . Very good cook and pictures! I like that recipe tbob4 .

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            T'Was excellent. Give it a try!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Skip. I can put together a pretty good recipe but Spinaker can make it look better than I ever could!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            HA!! Your giving me too much credit. tbob4

Too many great pictures on this thread...I had to make some to satisfy the cravings. Popped by Sams and got a pack of flank steaks (two is better than one right)? Got 'em home hit them with some citrus seasoning, vac sealed them and popped them in the Hot Tub Time Machine for about 5 hours. Had planned to leave them only in for 2 hours, but...life happens. One of the beauties of SV is the clock isn't your enemy. When we were finally ready, out of the bag and on to my ancient Weber Genesis cranked to it's highest setting. A quick sear and dinner was served! Super tasty and the extra time in the SV didn't change the texture. As a bonus, the second flank steak went back into a vac seal bag and it's ready to be warmed up in the Hot Tub Time Machine for dinner this weekend.

Name:	Asada.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	276764

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks Great!!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!

I know I'm bringing and old thread back to life, but wanted to share my attempt at @CeramicChef's Carne Asada marinade.

Let it sit ~ 20 hours in the marinade.

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	289763

Heated up the Primo to 350 and cooked over indirect heat. Blasted it on direct heat to get a nice sear. Turned out nicely.

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	289764

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	289765

I meant to grab a photo of it all dressed on the plate...but was too much in a hurry to dig in

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            That "too much of a hurry" bit is a recurring theme on this site. Looks Perfect!!

• ericbrown
            ericbrown commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!

TheCountofQ Here ya go my friend. I like to make this in the summer with some fresh sweet corn, right out of the field. It's divine.

​​​​​​​Gringo Corn Relish
          9 cups corn kernels (Fresh sweet corn if you have it)
          2 pounds sweet onions, chopped
          2 cups chopped red and green bell pepper
          1 cup finely chopped hot peppers (Jalapeño or habanero) I like to add a mixture. But chop them finely so they mix into relish and release their flavor.
          3 cups Apple cider Vinegar
          1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
          2 tablespoons Agave nectar
          1 tablespoon kosher salt
          2 teaspoons dry mustard
          1 teaspoon celery seeds
          1 teaspoon ground turmeric

Add all the ingredients to a large stock pot. Then bring the mixture to a boil under medium-high heat, you don't want it to burn onto the bottom. Then reduce and allow to simmer for 20 mins. It that easy. You can also use this for canning.

This stuff goes amazing with anything. I eat it straight out of the jar most times!

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks amazing, as does the recipe. I'll give it a go this summer. Thanks!!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for pulling this back up. TheCountofQ

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, the whole thread is mighty worthy! It's not stickied, which it should be, so I had it saved in my favorites, so it was easy enough. That corn should be posted in the sides/ vegetables section also, if it's not already.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here