Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing problem with overnight brisket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing problem with overnight brisket!

Help! I put a 13 pound full packer brisket on my new wscg last night for my first overnight smoke. I'm guessing my calculations were wrong but it looks like it will be done long before I figured. How long can I leave it in the cooler and it still be good for human consumption?

I'm not the expert but meathead said couple of hours min in cooler but I have personally left em in one for 4 hrs and was still good check out his article on brisket. He mentioned something about oven holding temp if needed

Comment

@Chew1229 3-4 Hours, with a good cooler warmed up with hot water prior to wrapping your brisket and add hot towels to take up extra space. Just keep a probe in it and if it gets down to 150, throw it in a oven or roaster pan to keep it in safe temp zone.
      What time did you start and temp were you running at? Has it hit the stall what temp is it at?
      Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 2, 2016, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Chew1229
        Chew1229 commented
        Editing a comment
        I started at 9 pm and the temp was between 225 and 245 all night. I did hit a short stall at 172.

Thanks guys! That's what I thought. The problem is I was counting on the smoke taking about 16 hours for some reason I'm up to 194 degrees on the smoker now and it's only been 11 hours.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah your about right on schedule. do you have the option to put in the oven if needed? You can always sear a little to tighten up the bark from resting.

Chew1229 , how did you start the coals in that WSCG? I'm playing around with different methods in mine, so I'm curious.

Also, check the warm setting on your oven. Mine sits at about 170 degF which is OK for holding. My GE Advantium oven holds warm at 150 though, which is nicer. Right where I like it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Chew1229
        Chew1229 commented
        Editing a comment
        Minion method. I all but filled the charcoal grate and hollowed out enough space for 14 lit coals. I used kingsford blue.

My oven wil go down to 170. I can just put it in the oven instead of the cooler?

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Chew1229 if it is going to be a LONG hold let it chill some at room temp. In fact I would let it come down to about 150 internal before putting in the oven. For really long holds the oven is a last resort to keep it from going too low.

FWIW I had a brisket cook go 24 hrs total. ~Half of that was on the smoker, and half went between the oven at 170 and the faux cambro. It turned out good. Maybe not ideal, but you do what you have to do when surprises come your way.

Comment

Chew1229 , personally I prefer the oven as long as the meat's well-wrapped in double foil and placed in a pan. I like the predictability of the temperature of an oven as opposed to watching a faux cambro over several hours. It's a personal preference, and it has worked for me. I haven't held anything for longer than about 4 hours, though.

Thanks for the fire lighting info for the WSCG.

Kathryn

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          AMEN! +1^ What else would a physicist do? Simple solution. A very nice application of Occam's Razor. Kudos to you, Kathryn!

• tygfamily
          tygfamily commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually put it in in the oven on 170* in a large tray and tented in foil. I will throw it back on the smoker or BBQ if I need to firm the bark. Never had a complaint even after 6 hours.

You're in good shape. I've done 6 hours in a warm "cooler" with no problem at all. Very low oven would have worked also but mine was full at the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here