Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoking tri tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking tri tip

I asked this in another thread but I need a quick answer. Can I wrap the tri tip and smoke it over night at 160 ish?

That sounds like a risky low temp to me. Tri tips are not a very large cut of meat. I usually do a quicker cook at higher temps. 275 to 300 until I reach an internal temp of 135. On my Weber 22.5 with the slow n sear this is usually about a 1.5 to 2 hr cook.

Comment

You could try. I smoke my trip-tips for 4 hours at 220-225. This goes against conventional tri-tip cooking styles but I much prefer the longer smoke. Before experimenting with 165 for an 8 hour cook try it out at the same temp and time Sous Vide style and take a look at the results. I am assuming you are using a pellet smoker to keep it at 165 over night. I'm a split log/water pan smoker. Thats how I can control the temp at that range. Wrapping the trip-tip for an extended period can make the meat mushy in my experience, but that is at a higher temp than you are attempting.

Comment

thanks I'm just going to try one of your two methods thanks. Yes it's a pellet smoker traeger.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I've eaten many, many Tri-Tips. I'm in California where Tri-Tips are in every store that sells beef. I personally don't like smoke on my Tri-Tip or most beef cuts. Just my taste buds I guess.

then how do you cook it

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I cook Tri-Tip Sous Vide. I prefer to leave it in the bath tub for 24 hours at 131°. I take it out of the SV bag, blot it dry, put some beef love on it and apply my rub, either BBBR or MMD. Then I sear it on my kettle with the SnS.

It's a very simple cook that requires very little hands on time.👍

Two ways that I see being popular with Pit members here are to sous vide it for a few hours, then a quick sear; or a reverse sear as you would a steak. I've only ever done one tri-tip (not common where I live) so I'm no pro, but I reverse seared it and it was great. 200ish until 10 deg. under target, then sear it up to just under target temp.

Comment

An overnight smoke is risky at that temp. If smoked Tri-Tip is what you want, just do 3-5 hours at 225F depending on the degree of doneness your prefer. I much prefer a reverse sear to Medium Rare or no more than 4 hours in the Sous Vide bath at 135 followed by a ripping sear.

Comment

Lightly smoked w Apple wood tri tip in Weber and SnS reverse sear. Smoked at 225-250 for 45 min until ~110IT then sear turning often until about 130IT. Dry brined a few hours with Montreal steak seasoning and a little smoked paprika. Ate with grilled corn with thyme butter. Nice little dinner.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Sound delicious and that's a great sear.

Traeger's molasses and chili marinade tri-tip recipe is a simple and easy to prepare meal for the whole family.

made this it was great I'll get pictures up as soon as I can go from my phone to my computer lol.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here