Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging brisket in the smoker on hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging brisket in the smoker on hooks

I have a whole packer that I am thinking about cooking this weekend in my vertical propane smoker at the vacay house which is too narrow to fit the brisket on the racks. I have it rigged for hanging and have a set of PBC hooks to use with it. Can I hang a brisket to completion, or will it fall apart before it's done? If I can do it, does anybody have any tips or tricks to prevent it falling apart? I assume I would put a rack right above the water pan in case it falls, but I would rather avoid that. I guess the other option would be to smoke it until I have a good bark - 170-180 then wrap it and finish in the indoor oven. What do you folks think?

I would worry more about the end of the flat getting overdone before it falling apart with two hooks connected to each other.

Comment

Hang it until you wrap, then just set it on the grate. Hook two towards the bottom then hook the top hooks through the bottom ones and then in through the meat. This will lock the hooks together against the brisket. I have never lost a piece of meat to the fire. And its because of this method, I believe anyway.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh sorry, yeah you'll have no problem taking that thing to 185 F 190 F on the hooks. A short time in the oven wont hurt it a bit. Dewesq55

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, You Could Hang A Whole Kodiak Brown Bear Like That! Just Tip an Abandoned Big Oil Barrel On End,
        Light'r Up You'll have Smoked Bear In 2-3 Days! What do Ya Think Good Plan! 👍🍻👍
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like a plan to me. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe I can have the pilot jettison some loin meat for you when we fly over the Dakota plains. Danjohnston949

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here