Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Jerky. Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Add it to the marinade.

I have it typed up, I’ll post it here once I get back to my desk.

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    Powersmoke_80 Hate to bother you on this old post but can you either replace the recipe photo with a complete photo or can you type the instructions that got clipped off? Do you spread the dry ingredients over the meat after it has been marinating for a couple of days or do you add the dry ingredients to the wet for the marinade? That is what I have done but I think I may be doing it wrong. Thank you.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Great time of year for jerky!

Gonna have to fire this back up soon. Thanks @JimLineberger for bumping this long lost thread back up!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yep! This is a great recipe and still my go to after all these years! JimLinebarger

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    Just made this (cut across) and a teriyaki (cut with) at my son's request. I thought he would like the teriyaki and just try this one. I was wrong. He like this one more, as well as everyone else that tried them including me. His only suggestion is next time cut with for more chew. Really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    IowaGirl thank you for the update! I'm planning on giving it a try this weekend.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, that is about where I was when I took it off. I did have a few that were a little more brittle than that. All in all, that is about where I ended up. It turned out really well.

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker -How dry do you take your jerky? The Jerkyholic website recommends drying the meat to the point where the meat fibers snap at the fold when bent, but the meat doesn't break into separate pieces.

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    T-bone -update on the tomato raisins- I put them in the dehydrator at 160 F. They weren't drying well as they were, so I used my kitchen scissors to cut the tomatoes in half and that did the trick. They really do look like raisins, but have a smoky, sweet-tart tomato flavor. Some may like them plain as a snack, but I'm thinking to use them as more as a seasoning. My mouth tells me they could be stellar if minced fine and mixed into mayo as a spread for a roast beef sandwich.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the great write up!

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    T-bone -- My tomato "raisins" are still not quite done as of this morning. I heated them through the afternoon, added another handful of briquettes to the fire at bedtime, and went to bed. I'll put them in our dehydrator to finish.

Meathead says to poke the 'maters a few times with the tip of a knife to break the skin and increase evaporation. I forgot to do that (duh!) and that was definitely an error I won't make again.
    Last edited by IowaGirl; September 19, 2021, 07:21 AM.

• Bighorn Dave
    commented on 's reply
    Each time I make jerky I loose a minimum of 30%, usually a little more. As far as a dehydrator goes I found one on FB Marketplace for $25.00 that was brand new. Donated to a church for a fund raiser. As a result I gave the pastor an extra $20.00 as a donation.

• T-bone
    commented on 's reply
    Great write up. Thanks! Let us know how the tomatoes turn out. I've got some in the fridge destined for the smoker.

• IowaGirl
    replied
    Smoked my first batch of jerky today. The cure is different than Spinaker's because I knew my Mr. Sweet Tooth would much prefer a sweet cure. To that end, I slightly adapted the Maple Syrup cure on the Jerkyholic website (https://www.jerkyholic.com)--

recipe per 1 lb meat (top or bottom round, eye of round, brisket, flank steak, sirloin tip, or lean ground beef at <=10% fat)

**Basic brine cure for 1 lb meat**
    2 teaspoon Morton kosher salt
    1 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon Prague powder #1 (0.25% by weight of meat)
    1/2 tsp liquid smoke (omit if dehydrating in smoker)
    1/3 to 1/2 cup water (just enough water to barely cover the meat)

**Sweet Maple cure for 1 lb meat**
    Basic brine (see above)
    2 TBL brown sugar
    4 TBL pure maple syrup
    1 TBL light molasses (I'd advise against dark molasses or blackstrap)

I sized up this recipe X3 because I wanted to cure 3 pounds of trimmed bottom round beef. After removing all external fat, I cut the meat into strips about 3/8" (1 cm) thick cutting across the grain x 1" (2.5 cm) wide x 4-6" (10-15 cm) long. I mixed up the cure and marinated the strips of meat for 2 days. I'd planned on just 1 day, but life got in the way. I don't think the extra day of cure created any problems.

I removed the strips from the cure and let them drip off, but didn't rinse or dry the strips, which some recipes advise. I threaded about 10 strips onto a bamboo skewer, about 6 skewers in all, and then used wire "bread ties" to fasten the skewers to the top rack of my Hasty Bake. The meat strips dangled from the rack and let me pack more meat into the upper level of the Hasty Bake than I could otherwise do.

I smoked the meat 2 hours starting at 115 F and rising to 225 F by the end. When I stopped, the meat had dried down to about two thirds of its original weight (the yield was about 2 pounds of finished jerky out of an original 3 pounds). I decided to stop when jerky was chewy and firm, but still quite flexible and "bite-able".

I do not consider this to be a jerky that's shelf stable at room temperature, even with the Prague powder. It's a treat, in other words, not a survival food. I'll keep most of the jerky in the freezer and keep leftovers in the fridge ... if there are leftovers. Mr. Sweet Tooth raved about it and I'm afraid we all, including the dogs, probably over indulged on jerky this afternoon.

Picture of the finished product to follow when I find the right dang-nabbit cord.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I'm already turning my sights toward trying a new brine (probably still on the sweet side) with ginger and perhaps soy sauce. And indulging my engineering side with figuring a better way to hang the strips in the Hasty Bake.

Oh, and on that note, for low temp smoking in the Hasty Bake -- Build a fire the usual way but use only about, oh, 20 briquettes. Plan on feeding the fire about 10 briquettes, give or take a few, every 45 to 60 minutes. Once you tweak the vents to your liking, the Hasty Bake should hold a fairly steady 180-200 F temperature for hours without a lot of fiddling with vents and such -- just feed enough briquettes as needed to maintain that temperature. At least that's what I'm seeing today.

Now that the jerky is done, I shifted the Hasty Bake into drying some grape tomatoes tonight into "tomato raisins" per Meathead's method. Hope they turn out good -- it's a slow process.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    That is pretty short. In the dehydrator at 160 it takes around 7 hours. But I guess the 40 degrees makes a difference. I am going to make my next batch on the Chimp. That KBQ keeps calling my name, but I can't afford it. I can't afford it. I can't afford it. DAMMIT KEVIN, YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here