Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Jerky. Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude how low can the KBQ go? I bet that would be a killer jerky making machine since it has a convection fan like a dehydrator.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought about that. But I don't think it will go nearly that low. But maybe. I will have to check with Bill KBQ to find out. Not a bad idea though.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker if the thermostat goes low enough(and looks like it does on you tube)it should work awesome. Heat from the fire goes out the top when the fan is not drawing into the cook chamber correct?

If you decide to get a dehydrator check out the "Excalibur Nine-Tray" model. Available from Cabelas if you got points to burn or a little cheaper from Amazon. I burned up my wife's $35 round model making jerky and replaced it with this one. She LOVES it! Very even drying. She does all manner of vegetables and fruit not to mention jerky. It pretty much runs non-stop during fruit/garden season and more during hunting season for the past 5 years and it just keeps on going!

Comment

The Jerky is coming along nicely!! The new dehydrator is awesome. I brought the pieces of raw meat up too 165 F on the smoker to kill the bugs, then threw them in the DH. After about three hours they were all done. I got some crasy color with that brine going for two days. And the cherry smoke probably helped too. The results have been very good so far. Chewy but now like shoe leather, still just a bit of moisture to it. The vac sealer really puts a nice seal on this stuff and makes the meat shine in the bag. I've also got a second batch on the brine now. I used my buddies meat slicer for this batch. Should be much more even results.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Tim E
        Tim E commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome Spinaker. Which recipe did you use on this? I think I am going to give it a try.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        See above! Tim E

You'll have so many friends in fishing camp!!!! Enjoy the trip. Wife & I head up the end of August, hopefully to catch the Silver run in SE AK.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!! What river are you guys headed too?

Tim E POWER SMOKE posted the recipe I used. It was phenomenal. Huge hit on the float. Especially when I gave the guides, who had been in the bush for weeks, a vac sealed bag. It was kind of a primal gift. That stuff was like gold up there. The flavor is incredible. I also added some ginger to the mix. But this is gonna be my go to! Thanks again to @Powersmoke_80 you are the man.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear you liked it, did you compare it to any others? I like the adding ginger idea.
        A buddy at fish camp uses Mr Yoshidas marinade mixed with a commercial jerky mix and it had great flavor so I am going to replace the soy sauce with it and try it next time. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mr-yosh...6-oz/163400.ip

Nice! I am going to give it a go! I've got some round roasts thawing from the freezer now..
      Thanks for posting Spinaker, and looking forward to trying your recipe Powersmoke_80

Comment

chandlerjorlandi
        Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I was on the water for 7 days sans internet!

I have made this on the KBQ and it is great. Just make sure you don't never shoot 165 F or you will have shoe leather jerky. Make sure there is ample space between pieces and that pieces are not overlapping. In the KBQ, you can pack a ton of jerky in there, just be vigilant and use your instant read to monitor the meat temp and you will be good to go. I use clean and dirty smoke to lay it on thick because you really don't have a ton of time in the smoke.

Comment

Spinaker did you marinade in a vacuum sealed bag or was that just how you packaged the final product?

Comment

Looks good Spinaker! When I first made jerky I used a dehydrator but have switched to using the Primo. Here's a batch of elk jerky. I'm due to make some more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6QQkVbyc9SQiaRtZn7VmhR_P6b1iuwWkiek2lAPyxy5ofGYwifvQ8y09TAUUNv3HRj_8TQk8gMWNTw0YZ3_2fOp_s5AIJvwj0n-CgpYHCgwD2vjttxiyp19C3LSLH22f-y5qJc9c3VpVSTlZBfSSHjoakh00-Tv3rvDgzFNI0_7Gz_-zGDDQfuUwepzCJDMPOT1-2EQxbD4losbAcKZqO8Djj2GXlR8ikP7Xi3QGZbJw_FIroGCu4Fxqbtr4SAS
Views:	422
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	733600

Name:	zd--r1LhjACjbDN_nnYoLycdH-lT1vS2m5K5e5NvUBWfmsUQHC8q8e_wyHGPo3Cxp9iesv38nedVLEESuwKXQ38Pp3cMNGQGbw5GkyaQbspxwLzx1ceKKw4gvs6JqPf_RKDCZVcRu4FnIxLaB5v3zQWVjVC2hkkDiMHU76AYw4LRH-TnlEgNTStNwVQVv9j6gcla-NdaRjYoDQfuc9bPKpH7cjGnfIL3AibOEARRpP2jYqhRQrWOGiQOIEiHtWo
Views:	437
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	733601

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice! I still use the dehydrator for mine, but maybe I do not need to.

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
            Spinaker did you marinade in a vacuum sealed bag or was that just how you packaged the final product?
            That was just how I packaged it. I marinated in a one gallon ziplock. Then you can swish the marinade around in the bag to make sure the flavors are distributed though out the soak.

Comment

Gonna be firing this up again! Gonna add more teriyaki and some sweet Mirin wine to the mix. Might be going with 20 lbs of raw meat to make sure we have enough for the crew.

Comment

I helped my girlfriend make this batch of Canna-Tsu jerky on Sunday. Not hot enough. Next time it'll get a habanero.

Name:	EiFswSj.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1078877

Comment

Time to fire up the jerky making. I bookmarked this awhile back and forgot about it. Next batch, this weekend. I think I'll try half on the pellet grill and half in the dehydrator.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear the ... is one jerky making machine. Or not.

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lookin forward to bother yer own, an Spinaker 's results...

Been way too long, since I made some jerky...'20 was a PASS... !

Here, from 16OCT19, is some late night, knock on th door Bambi Jerky...

It was fabulous! We did like three (Big) smokers full, drank a few cold ones... t'was a Good Night...

I got some fer my troubles, (More than I felt I deserved), but I didn't name a price, I jus said "Yeah!) an they paid me in Bambi what they felt was fair, an just... plus bout 10 lbs ready to smoke, at their insistence...

Sadly, th young'un who dropped the deer (his first, with a bow), died in a Horrible head-on crash, a few months later26 YO...Killed by a drunk driver who was left of center, leavin a wife an 3 kids behind...

Too Danged Bad; He was a Good Kid, an my Friend an Brother...

Warmin up a stickburner...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191016_190557 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.2 KB ID:	1079045 Smokin some Bambi 1...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191016_193915 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	693.8 KB ID:	1079046 Smokin Some Bambi 2
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20191016_193922 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	1079047
                  Finshed Bambi 1
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20191016_202322 (Custom).jpg Views:	19 Size:	581.1 KB ID:	1079102
                  Finsihed Bambi 2
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20191016_202342 (Custom).jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.8 KB ID:	1079414
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 18, 2021, 05:24 PM. Reason: Ficksed duplicate pics of Finished Bambi, added keereckt one... :-)

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Love it!

Did my first batch of jerky a couple weeks ago and was real happy with the results. The smoked cream cheese dip was a winner as well.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Smoked cream cheese dip? Do tell.

• T-bone
                    T-bone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker the smoked cream cheese is dead simple. Take a block of cream cheese and lightly coat it with oil (I used garlic olive oil), cover with BBQ rub or desired seasoning and smoke (185-200) for a couple of hours. After smoking I like to add a drizzle of hot honey. Spread on to crackers. Easy and tasty.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that sounds awesome. I will have to try that out. Thanks, brother!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here