Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Jerky. Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Jerky. Tips and Tricks

Hello fellow Pitmasters.
    As some of you know, I am heading up to Alaska in a week. I am planning on making some beef jerky for the group. This will be my first run at making Jerky. I picked up 10 pounds of choice top round from Costco. I am going to be using a meat slicer to get uniform 1/4 pieces. I was planning on using Meatheads recipe for the marinade. I plan to slice the meat, put it in bags and let it sit for 48 hours. Then I plan on setting up the keg for smoking the beef pieces to make Jerky. I don't have a dehydrator. So the keg will have to do. I am open to any techniques or method.

Should I go with thinner or thicker slices? How about the marinade? What are some of the Pit's experience with Meatheads recipe and technique or a technique that y'all have used over the years for your Jerky?

I am totally green in this department. I am totally open to anything here so, If anyone would be willing to help me with a few tips and pointers, it would be much appreciated.

Thank You. Hope all is well.

-Spinaker

It's been a long time (back when I was living in Alaska) ... but I seem to remember that a combo of teriyaki sauce and fresh cracked pepper was pretty tasty.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that was right before the U.S. dished out 7.2 million for Alaska.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      We thought it might be a bargain on sale like that ...

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Just might.....

All I can say is 10 pounds once dehydrated will last about 10 seconds.

You can smoke per the recipe, then place in an oven on the lowest setting and crack the door to get the approximate temp you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      All I can say is 10 pounds once dehydrated will last about 10 seconds.

You can smoke per the recipe, then place in an oven on the lowest setting and crack the door to get the approximate temp you want.
      How much do you think I will end up with after its dehydrated.

Thanks guys. I think I need to go out and get a dehydrator at some point but i want to try this first.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        I've never weighed, it just seems like I always should have made 10x more than I did. Crap goes fast.

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        i second that! 10lbs will make a few pounds, but the stuff is so good that 1 guy can eat 1 lb.! I would say to start with 10 lbs and be ready to buy more if you have time before your trip.

• Bighorn Dave
        Bighorn Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        Each time I make jerky I loose a minimum of 30%, usually a little more. As far as a dehydrator goes I found one on FB Marketplace for $25.00 that was brand new. Donated to a church for a fund raiser. As a result I gave the pastor an extra $20.00 as a donation.

The only warning I have comes from a past experience. Be careful of how much smoke you put to it. A little bit goes a long ways. I rendered it basically inedible on the first try. The second batch was much, much, better. I've only run into this problem when making jerky from strips of meat. I normally make jerky using ground meat and have never had an overpowering smoke taste. I guess they're two different beasts. With all your knowledge, you'll do just fine!

Comment

dehydrators are super cheap on amazon! I got one for $30 that works excellent. I use the flank steak from costco and it works great. I dont use a lot of smoke, and have a great teriyaki habanero recipe if you're interested. Trader Joe's soyaki is great

Comment

Spinaker I use trader joe's ingredients, and it can be scaled- you can always improvise if you dont have a trader joes:

1) 1 cup trader joes soyaki or the island soyaki if you want more pineapple/citrus flavor. you can always mix some soy and teriyaki (sauce or marinade) if no TJs
        2) 1/2 cup lea and perrins wors. sauce
        3) 2 teaspoons hickory liquid smoke
        4) 1 tbspoon of minced garlic (optional)
        4) 1 teaspoon honey
        5) as much cracked pepper, cayenne and red pepper flakes as you'd like. you can also put a bit of bbq rub
        6) 1 teaspoon trader joe's habanero sauce- start low and go as spicy as you'd like, you'll get some sweet heat for sure. you can also throw a couple seeds from the habanero in there or something to spice it up!

I throw in a gallon ziplock bag at least overnight to let marinade and throw in the $35 Presto 06300 dehydrator. buy the extra drying trays so you can get more jerky on there and you should be able to do 10lbs in a couple days. I usually do it 8-12 hours and run it constantly for a couple days. buy the silicone stay fresh things (food grade) and use a foodsaver to get more time for storage. if you're going with your buddies and consuming within a few days just a ziplock should be fine. Also let it dry for a bit and cool down before packaging because of the moisture. You'll find the perfect tenderness and dryness over time.

if it's good, people will burn through it, as you test it you will for sure go through 1lb or more it's soooo good! Enjoy

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dude!!! Cant thank you enough!! I am new to this whole Jerky deal.

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          no prob dude let us know how it turns out. i love the $35 dehydrator. also works great to make chicken dog treats if you have pups. dehydrate chicken breasts that are thinly sliced. pups love em!

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same dehydrator, and for the money it works wonderfully.

I did some on my Pellet Grill (1st time that less smoke flavor was a positive) what you have planned sounds great only I cut mine pretty thin and boy did they shrink up!! (now I used Brisket flat) so I would go with the thicker cuts of meat. I have to 2nd what everybody said it goes real fast so you might think about doing twice the amount just to be sure. I mean its jerky if you make to much it will last a long time anyway! Good luck and have fun in our 49th state!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          How does Brisket work for jerky? I have a 15 lb choice Briz in the freezer begging to be used for jerky. I totally agree with you on the subtle smoke from the pellet grill, I am keeping mine just for salmon and switching the hopper assembly back and forth from the Stick burner project.

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          It had to much fat. It turned out not to be a big deal, Fat can turn rancid if not eaten fast enough. As stated earlier the 3 pounds I made didn't last 2 days so the fat going rancid was not a problem. but ne3xt time I'll use a bottom round instead. Tasted great I liked the fat truth be known.

• SlushDeezey
          SlushDeezey commented
          Editing a comment
          All I've ever used is brisket flat. I buy it at HEB and get the butcher to slice it 1/4" thick with the grain. Bring it home and trim all the fat off then use one of the jerky kits from Academy.

I cut mine a little thicker and give them a good thumping with a rolling pin. That helps break down the fiber so they arent going to pull your teeth out trying to bite off a chunk or dislocate your jaw trying to chew them. I dont have the patients to do it on a dehydrator, I normally do them in the electric smoker at 180, but I have had good luck on woodfired smoker and a gas grill work in a pinch. It just takes a closer eye. They can go from almost done to completely ruined in 1 beer

Comment

Originally posted by rat88 View Post
          I cut mine a little thicker and give them a good thumping with a rolling pin. That helps break down the fiber so they arent going to pull your teeth out trying to bite off a chunk or dislocate your jaw trying to chew them. I dont have the patients to do it on a dehydrator, I normally do them in the electric smoker at 180, but I have had good luck on woodfired smoker and a gas grill work in a pinch. It just takes a closer eye. They can go from almost done to completely ruined in 1 beer
          What temp do you roll your smoker at? And how do I avoid the ruining it so quickly? Thanks!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Run it as low as you can to start as you are just trying to dry it basically not cook it then bring up at the end to hit your 165.

I try to keep around 200, but that is hard on a stick burner, you dont want to add wood too soon so the temp spikes, so you let it go a little too long and the coals burn down. Then you throw on a few sticks and it overshoots by 75.
          "Done" for me it is a "feel" thing, kinda like the bend test on the ribs. I go by color too, but that varies from one cook to the next depending on rub, outside temp and what wood was used. The key is constant flipping and rotating in/out of the hot spots. A half a dozen burgers can be hard enough to keep track of.... 80 jerky slabs is another story

Comment

• rat88
            rat88 commented
            Editing a comment
            They will cook a little more after you take them off too. So you want to yankem sooner than you might think you need to. Its kinda like bacon, if you like your bacon a little floppy and you take them out that way, then they get stiff and crunchy

Ok Spinaker this is a super secret recipe so don't tell anyone!
          I got this off Michigan out of doors like 30 years ago and make it all the time and is awesome. A couple guys at work love it so much that they ask that I put the mix together and sell it to them since it is easier than them buying all the ingredients for 1-2 batches Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	187277 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	187276 . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG
Views:	703
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	187279 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	187278
          I do it in my pellet grill and at 185 deg. till IT of 165 or desired dryness as it does not last long so I am not storing it for long and I put in ziploc and throw in fridge soon after I pull it off and it will have a lite glaze on it after it cools and is fantastic.
          P.S. Marinade in fridge for 1-2 days and I do not add liquid Smoke!
          Last edited by Powersmoke_80; June 28, 2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep! This is a great recipe and still my go to after all these years! JimLinebarger

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            Powersmoke_80 Hate to bother you on this old post but can you either replace the recipe photo with a complete photo or can you type the instructions that got clipped off? Do you spread the dry ingredients over the meat after it has been marinating for a couple of days or do you add the dry ingredients to the wet for the marinade? That is what I have done but I think I may be doing it wrong. Thank you.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Add it to the marinade.

I have it typed up, I’ll post it here once I get back to my desk.

I have made several batches. Love Meatheads recipe. I cook from 165-190 for about 7 hrs. Make sure to rotate and tast a lot. I find that when I think it's done it's done. It can burn before you know it. Have a great adventure.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank You

Where in Alaska? If you like, we can meet and greet.. As far as jerky is concerned, I would recommend using a good dehydrator to finish what you start in your smoker. This will allow you to get the texture you like, with good controllability. I've made a ton of jerky in my time using all sorts of recipes and techniques. Most are pretty good, but the great equalizer for me is the dehydrator. Trust Uncle Tom on this.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Strat50 We are flying into Anchorage then onto King Salmon. From there we are headed to the Alagnak River. just north of King salmon about 40 miles.

Get a dehydrator. Best $ you will ever spend making jerky. The first load of meat you overcook in the oven or smoker will more than pay for it. Go light on the smoke. Maybe only an hour on your first batch and see if you like it. Then maybe two hours on the next batch. Don't use liquid smoke if using a smoker. You have two competing smoky flavor sources and they don't necessarily compliment each other. Make small batches and make small adjustments to find what works and what you like. If it's winter and I don't want to drag out the smoker I use Apline Touch Hickory Smoke Seasoning. Just sprinkle it on and place in the dehydrator. The family has enjoyed that for years. I have only used venison to make jerky. Love the flavor of that over beef for jerky. Try grinding some venison (or beef) and blending in some spices to make meat sticks. Those are awesome also. Have fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here