Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

texas brisket - no stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jneuman60
    commented on 's reply
    All this talk about meat and I almost missed the Guru iPhone comment. I've been trying to get my CyberQ to consistently link to my WiFi with little success. So here it is 3:00 am and I'm off to check my temps. Did you have much trouble getting getting it to work?

• Christobol
    replied
    Something else to consider, you had 20 lbs on your BGE instead of 8-14 like normal. Normally that means you should raise the temp a bit more than normal unless you've got your Guru probe at a great place away from any drafts from the coals.

Leave a comment:

• Thom Emery
    replied
    Got a roll of red butcher paper this week for some Texas style Brisket Franklins videos have intrigued me for awhile

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Once you crutch you have to take the meat to 203F, OR, you have to be prepared to deal with another stall. The crutch causes moisture to build up in the surface of the meat. When you unwrap, this moisture starts the evaporative cooling process.

Next time take to 203F before you unwrap.

Leave a comment:

• biggreenmatt
    replied
    Right?

Leave a comment:

• boftx
    replied
    "freeloading bastards"? Why didn't you just say in-laws in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• biggreenmatt
    replied
    An hour late and the first one came off, 10 degrees short. Another hour later and the second one came off. Wouldn't win any competitions, but good enough for the freeloading bastards who can't tell the difference. Oh well, here's the pix:

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Lol. We're pulling for you Matt.

• biggreenmatt
    replied
    Douglas Adams once said that he loved deadlines, most especially, the whizzing noise they made as they blew last him. That's what's happening in my backyard, right now.

Leave a comment:

• biggreenmatt
    replied
    Aaaaaaand, I'm about to fling past my window. Brisket is the cruelest mistress there is.

Leave a comment:

• biggreenmatt
    replied
    What's up, doc. Using a Guru, I get the temperatures fairly regularly in my iPhone. Silly, but it appeals to the techno-nerd in me. I'm guessing the brisket I used last was a one-off exception, because I've got the stall going on right now with a vengeance. Even with the crutch, it's a pain in the ass. I crutched both my briskets, unwrapped them at 195F en route to 203F, and low and behold, they dropped 10 degrees and just stayed there. I had to re-crutch them an hour or two ago. I'm serving in an hour and a half, and they're still not ready. Goddammit. Proof that unless you're an actual Pit Master, smoking hundreds or thousands of briskets a year, you never get really good at brisket- you just get a little less worse every time.

Leave a comment:

• docblonder
    replied
    How often do you check the temp? A thin cut (even ribs) stall at 225F, but sometimes for only an hour and you could miss it. A shorter, lower temp stall without a water pan, a higher temp, longer stall with a water pan.

Leave a comment:

• boftx
    replied
    I'd start keeping a log of the thickness of the flat and the point, total weight, cook time and stall temp and length, if any. Might be interesting. I'd be willing to wager that those small cuts are pretty thin and that there is a correlation between thickness and stall more than weight and stall.

Leave a comment:

• biggreenmatt
    replied
    Ok, so I spoke to my guy this morning when I picked up my two ten pounders, and I was told that their local sources get them AA and AAA meat. The two bad boys I picked up were nice and fatty- even the flats. It's going to be a good, good day tomorrow.

Oh, and for the record: I'm sort of minimalist when it comes to rubs. Generally I just use Dalmatian spice, but last time I added garlic powder, and it came off much, much better than it had before. Rubbed down the beasts this morning with S&P, GP and a bit of white sugar (to ramp up the caramelization process and get more bark- plus, if I know my food science, it should assist on the light overnight cure, aka: "dry brining"- hate that term).

I'll post a picture or two of the results, including a picture of two briskets in one L BGE, using a second rack and a pair of food grade culinary bricks.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    I'm hungry too! I'm getting ready for a little Brisket this weekend! Going to try with no crutch, and keeping the packer whole (was doing HOP and HOF separated last couple).

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest