Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Costco Boneless Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Costco Boneless Short Ribs

If you're a Costco shopper, you know the ones I'm talking about. 5 lb pack, about 10" long, strips of nicely marbled chuck. So tender. So meaty. So perfect.

They are my go to wow meal with the sous-vide rig. In the bag, naked, 72 hours at 133*F. Shock in ice water for ten minutes. Remove ribs from bag, dry thoroughly, reserve purge (bag juices). Nuke bag juices for a minute, to separate out albumin (the stuff that turns white on salmon, turns sauces made with purge cloudy and ugly). You'll know it when you see it. Filter bag juice through a coffee filter. Get an eighth of an inch of butter/canola mix (or tallow/butter, or lard) smoking hot (this is not fun with smoke alarms). Sear short rib chunk for 30-60 seconds a side. Don't forget the ends (15 seconds sufficient). Drain fat from pan, add bag juice, red wine, garlic, shallots, whatever aromatics you like, reduce by half. I like to add maple syrup to it, and reduce it to a glaze, then glaze short ribs. Probably the best thing I make. Top five at least.

Any rate, doing something completely different with them today. Grill set for 225*-250* (direct sun is not the friend of 225*). Overnight dry brine, BBBR, pellet smoke... bark bombs? Still a work in progress, but here's how it's shaping up:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shortrib 1.jpg
Views:	11894
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	186224

Dusting with BBBR.

Name:	Shortrib2.jpg
Views:	7997
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	186225
    About an hour and a half in, was at the temp I would do if I were gonna reverse sear them, and eat them med rare, sliced thin. With SV, you can pull them while at 133, given the time, but you can't build the crust quite the same. I have ideas along that line, but that's not the point of this exercise.

Name:	Shortrib3.jpg
Views:	7439
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	186226

At 3 hours, pushed through a mini-stall, got a nice bark going... I'll see what the temp is when the tube runs out of smoke, and make a call there. They're ready to eat now, but can we push the bark a bit further? Yes. We can try.

Push for the bark.......

Comment

Very well done, and looking good.

Comment

Good cook Potkettleblack ... I like the 72 hours in the bath tub. The Modernist Cuisine books call that braised Short Ribs, Sous Vide style. They cook them at 140° for 72 hours. Then they debone them, they use boned Short Ribs, then they blast them with a blowtorch to get the color they want.

Your cook is very similar to their's. You just replaced the blowtorch with a smokers.👍
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 26, 2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          These were not sous'd.

I used to have a Searzall, but I'm not a fan of torching, even with the Searzall. The 7 degrees are a world of difference over 72 h. I've done it the MC style, and I much prefer my soak. But I did make their red wine reduction once, and it was good (but really expensive).

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          As I'm really only getting comfortable with my gas grill now, and my Nomiku2 is somewhere in Nebraska, the SV-Grill combo is gonna be used more going forward, for more than just finishing steaks and chops and what not.

Definitely one of our favorite Costco products. Often (but not always) we can get Prime grade.

I've done them sous-vide with various settings, but I like your enhancements to the Modernist Cuisine & Thomas Keller recipes, so I'll play with those.

We've also had great luck using them for "beef ribs" on the smoker. Hopefully yours will do as well.

They also grind up for some amazing burgers (especially the Prime grade ones).

Comment

Your short ribs look great. Costco needs to build more stores. I'll take one in Murfreesboro, TN and one in Pensacola FL please!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Fuzzy... Here in So Cal, where there are 1000's of places to buy beef, Costco is by far the best. When and if you get one in your area you will think you've died and gone to BBQ heaven! The chicken and fish are outstanding too.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Same in Chicago. When we first got here, a cabbie told us that the best restaurants and Costco get from the same supplier.

Got some Canadian lobster tails this week. Don't usually see northern lobsters not sold alive.

Success.

Not eating tonight because we have a power washer coming and I bought lobster tails, which I wouldn't be able to do until Wednesday at the earliest. So, schedule for the week rearranged.

Huge success.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like the push was very successful!!! I'm about to go to Costco and look for these boneless short ribs! had not noticed them before. Thanks for the info!

• Bob's BBQ
            Bob's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! What was the final cook time?

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            About four and a half hours. Gasser might've been running a bit hot, like 275.

I bought these USDA Prime Short Ribs at Costco. I bought 2 packages and cooked 1 in March. This one will take a 72 hour bath at 140° soon.

Modernist Cuisine has this listed as Braised Short Ribs done Sous Vide style. I'm going to tweak their processes to include enough smoker time to get a nice bark.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
            I bought these USDA Prime Short Ribs at Costco. I bought 2 packages and cooked 1 in March. This one will take a 72 hour bath at 140° soon.

Modernist Cuisine has this listed as Braised Short Ribs done Sous Vide style. I'm going to tweak their processes to include enough smoker time to get a nice bark.
            I think they were going for a flakier texture in MC. In MC@H they go 144x72, for tender/flaky texture, in a recipe they called braised short ribs. They say that's fork tender but still pink, while 136x72 is recommended for medium rare texture.

Here's a series that ChefSteps did on short rib temp time.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

They went around my favorite temp, bracketing 4 below and 11 above (with 24 hours shorter).

It's all about what you want the final product to be. To get the bark on your cook, without messing the interior too much, I might do the SV cook naked. Shock it cold. Remove from the bag, salt and rub, and smoke until IT gets to where you think it should. I think maxing out bark is going to undo what we've done.

The other idea would be to smoke it first, build the bark, then bag and sous, shock and sear.

Comment

Potkettleblack ...

I have the Original 6 volume set of MC books. That Braised Short Rib recipe calls for 72 hours at 140°. I'm going to do that then put it in the fridge overnight. Then I'll put it on the BGE cold out of the fridge to extend the smoking time, to bark it up. I did that with the 36 hour SV bath last time. It turned out nicely.
              Last edited by Breadhead; June 27, 2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

All cool. I'm going to have to try it differently. Have more of these bad boys, have a new souser coming so, yeah.

Comment

I was looking back through Facebook and I found an earlier SV SR experiment. I did not love 131*x72, but then did 143x72, which I liked a lot. Did not take great notes on texture and what I liked.

Comment

Thank goodness that Costco stocks these fine Prime grade Short Ribs so we get to experience with them.😜

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      These bark bombs are like one of the fifth way I have made them. SRs might be my favorite thing. Great in the winter for braising. Great in the summer for grilling. Great in the Sous-vide. Good for low and slow, good for hot and fast (Kalbi kui style). They're FANTASTIC in chili.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here