Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Ribs

I haven't tried beef ribs in a while. The last time I did them on my gasser 2 years ago they were too tough to eat. Last night I decided to try again. Since I was working from home today I would be able to watch them. So I took them out of the freezer and when they had thawed I salted them, wrapped them up and put them into the fridge. This morning put some oil on both racks and spread some of my beef rub on both sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4431.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	18527

I brought them in after 3 hrs @ 240 F (wasn't watching my BGE while it was warming and it wouldn't come down to 225 F) to wrap. I mixed up some liquid for braising in the foil.

1/2 cup beef broth
    2 oz. Worcestershire
    1 oz. 40 Creek rye.

Poured about half that mix into each wrap .. meat side down. Just before wrapping:

Name:	IMG_4435.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	18528

Name:	IMG_4436.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	18529

Put them back out on the BGE for another 1.5 hrs. Here is what they look like when I unwrapped them:

Name:	IMG_4437.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	18530

Name:	IMG_4440.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	18531

As you can probably tell it's over cooked .. the bones were literally falling out. I attribute that to myself letting the egg run away on me at the start. Still they were very moist and tasty. I think the braising liquid would have been better with only one oz. of Worcestershire. I don't see much of a smoke ring either .. not sure what happened with that. Out of the two racks there's only one bone left so I guess it was a successful cook

Yeah as much as they shrunk they're a bit overcooked. However, as long as they tasted good, it's a success story. They key to beef ribs is to get them to that brisket temp of 200ish, then stop cooking them but instead hold them as you would brisket or pork butt, for about 2- 4 hrs wrapped in a faux cambro. This wont overcook them but will soften them by holding that heat they've already absorbed without transferring more energy to them and overcooking them.

Good news is, you get to try again! That's BBQ!

Nice pics by the way, I love seeing the large ones!

Comment

• cdd315
      cdd315 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya, 4.5 hrs at that temp was too long I see now. 3.5 hrs would be better. I can't wait to try that again with that cut .. or shorty's

I read a link you posted on how to attach pictures and it sure works great! I think I'll post my next ones a little larger. 640 px on the long side is just a little small for a larger screen.

Yeah... they look good though. This made my mouth water, I REALLY like beef ribs... and need to shop for some now!

Comment

• cdd315
      cdd315 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Smarkley, I'm looking forward to the next ones too!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here