Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke then Sous Vide Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke then Sous Vide Brisket

They all say, fourth time's a charm, right? My first three briskets weren't that good, so I was a bit discouraged. I talked with David Parrish about it at lunch the other week. He suggested smoke it until it's ~170 (to get a good bark), then sous vide it at 195 for 4 hours. He said it's what he did for "Pastrami - Perfected" so I followed that cooking method for this brisket. Interestingly, the bark did not need any firming up. It kept its texture!

Turned out pretty good! Certified Angus Beef 3.1 lbs flat.

My other brisket was sous vide THEN chill THEN smoke, and for whatever reason, no bueno.

I'll be doing the "smoke then sous vide" method from now on!
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	185222 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	185223 More pictures! No idea why you have to click for the pictures. Sorry!

Comment

By the way, sharing lunch or dinner with a Pit member is awesome! David Parrish and I have met up a few times. I'm the one who gets all the benefit, as I ask him smoking/grilling tips, and he graciously answers!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I dunno, I'd only trust half of what Pit Boss tells you

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Hit a guy while he's out of the country, eh?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't say that @Huske - now he will tell us twice as much...

The slices look very good. I also see the "?" above for each photo, but clicking does bring them up. Good to hear you've got a method that works for you. Immediately after this post, I'll post a link to this page on the post migration page in case it's related.

Comment

Glad it turned out good scottranda!

Comment

Interesting way to do it....looks good though!!

Comment

Anything that produces pretty food like that is top notch! However, I'm a Sous Vide first guy and they've always came out good.😎

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you chill after the SV? And what was your time and temp in the SV?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I chilled after the SV before putting it on the smoker. I wanted it to be cold going in the smoker so I'd have a longer time to reach 203° so I could bark it up properly.

24 hours in the bath tub at 175°.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here