Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caveman steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caveman steak

Not for me
    Attached Files

DWCowles I'm with you. I don't get it either. I think its more for show than anything. But maybe not. Anyone here tried it?

Comment

DW, did you try it or just don't think you would like the idea of tossing a steak directly on hot coals?

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate I got this photo from GrillinFools.com

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Meathead has done it...🤔

• BigBear
        BigBear commented
        Editing a comment
        The name of the website ought to tell you something.

Alton Brown says thats the only way to do tough pieces of meat like skirt steak. He swears that any ash that sticks to the meat dissolves and marinades the meat?? not tried it myself.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe ten years ago, I did AB's skirt steak. I may have done it incorrectly, as I was on a little smokey joe and fairly new to charcoal grilling, but the ash does not dissolve. It is easily flicked off, however. I would do this on KBB, just for the regularity of surface.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack so its the magic of TV that makes it disappear, Sneaky Producers & Food Stylist lol. I've actually wondered myself big gusts of wind (a common occurrence here in West Texas) kick up ash into the cooking chamber and later when trying the food you could feel the ash as it was chewed.

It's a very nice photo. I only like crunchy pieces on my ice cream.

Comment

Before I started cutting my briskets down for the PBC I had multiple briskets laying on the coals, not touching, LAYING. You couldn't tell the briskets had touched any coals, but they sure nuff put out the coals and about killed my temps.

Comment

I have done this once on a winter backpacking trip. We will occasionally bring steaks and a small piece of grate but in this instance the grate was forgot so we just threw them on the coals, if anything it puts starts to put the coals out and you need to keep moving the meat around and stirring the coals up. The coals are easy to wipe off the steak and I dont recall it tasting terrible(generally everything tastes great while backpacking) but I also put a little extra seasoning on after the cook and was into the whiskey pretty good by this point. With that said I dont see a reason to put any meat on the coals when you can just put the grate directly above the coals.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            "generally everything tastes great while backpacking"
            Truth.

I'll try just about anything once, twice if I like it.

I was a caveman once. That did it for me. No mas, no mas.

Comment

Toss the steak on a shovel, then shove it in the coals.

Comment

I love to do steaks Caveman style. Been doing it for years.
              I only use natural charcoal, and after they are glowing and ready I will take a newspaper and REALLY fan the coals off clean.
              It does make a nice steak, and I've never had a problem with ash or coals. Truthfully not a whole lot of difference between this and on the grate.
              You will get a little more char but not excessive. I do like a good char so.......

Comment

Meh. To me, it seems a lot like frying an egg on a hot sidewalk. Meh.

Comment

I think Alton Brown also did it so there was no flare ups from the marinade dripping on the coals

Comment

It's a parlor trick. And the ash does not dissolve. A far better method is to place the cooking grate less than 1" above the coals. Much more even cooking, much better maillard, no dry spots, no ash.

Comment

I'd do it if I were in the wilderness and had to. I'd also gladly eat it if my steak somehow fell onto the coals. Otherwise I'd do as Meathead says ^

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here