Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak in a smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak in a smoker?

I'm going to grill a couple of large ribeyes tomorrow for Fathers' Day. I'll do the reverse sear on my gas grill. Is there any reason I can't do the low and slow part in a gas smoker? I should have no problem keeping it at 225 F like Meathead recommends. Then I can get the grill good and hot before I do the sear. Is there anything I'm missing that might make this a bad idea? Would I use the water pan in the smoker, or leave it empty? Thanks!

I use my old COS all the time for steaks. I set up for two-zone and take it low and slow til they hit about 115F - 120F internal temp then put them directly over the coals til they hit about 130F. I see no reason why you can't do the same on a gasser.

Comment

Ah, I just saw the answer in a side-bar in the "Better than Steakhouse" recipe. You can do the first part in a smoker, according to Meathead. He says he doesn't care for the smokiness, but adding wood is optional in a gas smoker, so I think I should be okay. Still not sure about the water pan, but my guess is "no."

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        If I'm cooking lots of steaks for friends and family I will cook them in my kitchen oven and take them out to the grill to sear them.

You won't need a water pan for steaks

Comment

Just did this a few weeks ago. Had four large porterhouses that I put on my WSM, two on each rack. When the IT hit 90, I started a full chimney of KBB briquets in a chimney. I have a 22" Weber kettle (my "beater" kettle) I use strictly for quantities of meat that won't fit with the SnS. Came out great

Comment

Well, they turned out pretty well. I got them up to 120 in the smoker, and had two red-hot cast iron pans waiting for them on the grill. They got a really nice sear, and were a nice dark pink wall-to-wall on the inside. I also made some board sauce and cut them in half to serve 4 people. All in all I think it was the best steak I've done so far. Thanks for all the advice and input.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Board sauce, nice! Some herbage, galic and butter? Got pics? Sounds awesome right this second!

I cooked a couple of ribeyes a few weeks ago and I cooked them on the smoke setting on my Traeger with mesquite pellets for an hour then I move them to the grill part of my Lang 36 hybrid with a hot chimney of charcoal to do the sear for a couple minutes per side and they turned out awesome. They had that great grill flavor and were juicy, I took them off when the temp hit about 130 on my Thermapen then let them rest for about 10 minutes.

Comment

Since my Hasty-Bake is essentially both a smoker and a direct heat grill, this is how I always do steaks. I smoke them (although I rarely use extra wood for more smoke) at 225 until I get to about 115-120 internal temp .... raise the firebox up to right under the grill and throw the steaks directly over the coals for 3 minutes on each side. I get perfect medium rare steaks every time. Once I figured this method out (thanks Meathead!) it's been my go to for steak.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Your hasty bake is kind of a Santa Maria grill because you can raise and lower the coals.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it allows me to do things easily that would be difficult with other grills

Over Memorial Day I cooked steak in my 14.5 WSM. I didn't use it as a smoker though. I filled a compact chimney and poured the coals into the ring when they were all lit. The steaks were about 1.5" thick. I removed the bowl and cooked them on the top grate until they hit about 115 internal. I then moved them to the bottom grate for a reverse sear. They were the best steaks I've ever cooked and it wasn't even close.

Comment

JeffJ Exactly the way a thick steak should be prepared. IMHO.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here