Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Nice, Quick, Healthy, Cook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Nice, Quick, Healthy, Cook!

Howdy Meathead Maniacs!

So it was a miserable evening to cook yesterday. The temperature was only about 95F, but the humidity took the Heat Index to 110F! Flat miserable. IT's forecast to be a Heat Index today of 115F1 BUT, ever the trooper, I was not to be deterred. (I had a cold beer or two or three ...)

So here is a cook of mini peppers, summer squashes, onions, etc., 90/10 hamburger, and cottage cheese. Simple, quick, healthy, and easy!

Veggies on the back side of Grill Grates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1324.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	181538

Torpedo-shaped burgers on the KK main grate.

Name:	IMG_1327.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	181539

A couple of money shots.

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	181540

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	181541

Thanks for looking!

here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!

Sounds like our weather lol, I was dodging lightning strikes last night trying to cook corn. Looks great, particularly he veggies-great carmalization. Cottage cheese is one of those things I like but for some reason rarely buy. I should change that. The first time I saw your salt pig it set me on a as yet uncompleted journey to find the perfect salt pig.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram - thanks for the compliments. please be very careful of that lightening. I got Pete The Salt Pig as a Christmas gift from a dear friend. He got it off Amazon. Pete's the BOMB!

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      I am for sure. I have seen two people struck by lighting (had to perform first aid on one) and I don't play. By dodge I meant run my butt into the house!

Weather has kept me from outdoor cooking the last couple of nights.... Just not a fan of being around a grill or pit while there are bolts of lightening abound.....

Love grilled veggies... I do the peppers and onion mix a lot... I really should try throwing in some squash and other things. Looks delicious!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate - peppers and onion are classic. I found the squash at the local grocery on sale. Its now part of my go to. And it was really delicious. My guest for dinner last evening really liked the cook.

I want a Piggie salt pig too! I have this one, which I like a lot for my salt because stuff doesn't get into it when closed up, but it doesn't have that piggie personality:

Name:	Salt pig 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	181558

Now back to the topic at hand, that's a really tasty healthy-looking supper, CeramicChef . Nice job! Why do you make the burgers torpedo shaped? Any advantage over the flat design?

And, heading off-topic again, my Mother always made cottage cheese salads as special treats: spiced peaches on the bottom, a spoonful or two of cottage cheese, a dollop of mayo on top sprinkled with sweet paprika. I just started serving that to my family a couple of months ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I guess.

Kathryn

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - Pete The Salt Pig was given to me for Christmas a few years back. He got Pete at Amazon. I love that Pig! I make torpedo shaped burgers as a change and to make certain that then get a good crust without being overdone in the middle. Don't you get your WSCG today?

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      CeramicChef

I do, I do! Supposedly it's making its way up to our house even as we speak. Color me excited.

Thanks for the additional piggie and 'burger info!

K

Love grilled veggies!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 0 I"m really trying to get this healthy cooking thing down pat. Thanks!

Great cook, Ken ... looks like what we consider a staple around here. Sorry about the heat and humidity. It gets hot here in Colorado, too ... but "it's a dry heat" (or so the natives claim).

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Mike! Yeah, I lived for quite a few year along the Front Range. I once STUPIDLY bought a home with no central air. I lived there 3 months. Dry heat my happy tush!

fzxdoc CeramicChef I make long ones too and we put them in "steak rolls" and we call the "Hamdogs." They were created when we had no burger buns. Ever since we pile toppings on he big toasted steak roll.its fun and different as well as a party convo starter. I my self have been a bit banged up and under the weather. As a result I started eating better and logging/tracking nutritional intake info. This has been my world for the last month or so ( when not on liquids only) and I'm seriously jones-ing for BBQ. I've lost 15 lbs though. Not bad. I'm still 6'4" and 315 or so. BBQ soon to follow.
    Attached Files

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice pics! Continue getting well. Congrats on the 15 pound weight loss!

Thanks for the additional ideas about making torpedo shaped burgers, HouseHomey . The photos look great too.

I hope you continue to feel better. And major congrats on the weight loss! You go, guy!

Kathryn

Comment

CeramicChef I have the same salt and pepper grinders. They work great.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        (don) Jr - don't you just love those Oxo S&P grinders? I've found that Oxo makes real quality goods. For the price, I think Oxo products are an outstanding value.

Originally posted by CeramicChef View Post
      Howdy Meathead Maniacs!

So it was a miserable evening to cook yesterday. The temperature was only about 95F, but the humidity took the Heat Index to 110F! Flat miserable. IT's forecast to be a Heat Index today of 115F1 BUT, ever the trooper, I was not to be deterred. (I had a cold beer or two or three ...)

So here is a cook of mini peppers, summer squashes, onions, etc., 90/10 hamburger, and cottage cheese. Simple, quick, healthy, and easy!

Veggies on the back side of Grill Grates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n181538[/ATTACH]

Torpedo-shaped burgers on the KK main grate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n181539[/ATTACH]

A couple of money shots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n181540[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n181541[/ATTACH]

Thanks for looking!

here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!
      Looks kike a tasty meal!

-Dave

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        It was wonderfully tasty! A really sumptuous feast. It made all that miserable weather bearable. Thanks.

Never thought of flipping the grill grates for vegetables, will try that next time, thanks for the idea.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook all types of things on the flip side. I've done veggies, smash burgers, buns, shrimp, scallops, etc. the idea isn't mine; I forgot where I copied it from.

• chudzikb
        chudzikb commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I saw it for searing of meat, but, never thought of using the setup for veggies, but, sure will now. Tonight actually.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here