Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kathryn's Quick Chile Colorado with Smoked Pulled Chuck in the Pressure Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kathryn's Quick Chile Colorado with Smoked Pulled Chuck in the Pressure Cooker

This is a great last-minute recipe for chile-heads. What makes it last minute is that an electric pressure cooker is used (Instant Pot) and the meat is added, frozen, to the pot. Within 30 minutes, supper is ready.

Kathryn’s Instant Pot Chile Colorado
    with Smoked Pulled Chuck

Ingredients
    1 14oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
    ½ tsp chipotle chile, ground (powder form)
    1 Tbl guajillo chile, ground (powder form)
    1 Tbl ancho chile, ground (powder form)
    1Tbl Anaheim chile, ground (powder form) (or add 4 oz can Hatch green chiles)
    1Tbl ground cumin
    ½ tsp dried oregano
    1 pickled or fresh jalapeno, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup beef broth (Better Than Boullion: 1 tsp dissolved in 1 cup water)
    6 oz lager beer
    2 Tbl butter
    2 Tbl ghee or vegetable oil
    3 Tbl flour
    1 lb smoked pulled beef chuck, frozen

Directions:
    1. In the bowl of a food processor, dump the tomatoes, chipotle, guajillo, ancho, and Anaheim ground chiles , along with the cumin, oregano and the chopped jalapeno. Pulse until smooth.
    2. Add 2 Tbl ghee or vegetable oil to the Instant Pot. Select Sauté. When the oil or ghee is shimmering, add the onions and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
    3. Add the garlic to the Instant Pot and sauté for 30 seconds, until just fragrant.
    4. Add the contents of the tomato mixture from the food processor. Stir well.
    5. Add the beer and the beef broth. Cook for a few minutes, stirring to let the alcohol from the beer boil off.
    6. Add 1 lb of smoked pulled chuck, frozen. Cover with sauce.
    7. Turn Instant Pot Off. Turn back On. Select Manual High 20 min.
    8. While the Chile Colorado is cooking, make a light roux from the butter and flour in a small skillet. Set aside.
    9. At the end of the cook time, let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure.
    10. Stir the mixture well while adding the roux. The sauce will thicken immediately.
    11. Serve with soft tacos and chopped green onions and fresh jalapenos for garnish.
    12. Add 1 lb of smoked pulled chuck, frozen. Cover with sauce by spooning it over the meat chunk.
    13. Turn Instant Pot Off. Turn Instant Pot On. Secure lid. Select Manual High 20 min. Instant Pot will start.
    14. Make a light roux from the butter and flour. Set aside.
    15. At the end of the cook time, let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure.
    16. Stir the mixture well while adding the roux. The sauce will thicken immediately.
    17. Serve with soft tacos and chopped green onions, shredded cheese and fresh jalapenos for garnish.

Note: if using thawed smoked pulled beef chuck cook for 5 minutes on High Pressure. Let sit for 5 minutes after the cook is finished. Release pressure, mix with roux and serve.

When I smoke chuckies, I usually do 3 or 4 at a time to make a bunch of pulled beef. I freeze the leftovers in 1 lb portions in vacuum-sealed bags. I use that meat in many recipes that call for ground beef, like chili, lasagna, meat marinara sauce, tacos, etc.

I discovered that I could pop a 1 lb chunk of smoked pulled chuck, still frozen hard as a rock, into the pressure cooker with the other Chile Colorado ingredients and have a great meal within 30 minutes, and with only one major pot to clean up. I serve with refried beans and guacamole on the side.

This is sort of runny, so it will make a messy taco. We usually pull off a bite-sized piece of soft flour tortilla, load it up with a layer of refried beans, a spoonful of the Chile Colorado, some shredded cheese and chopped fresh jalapenos and green onions and pop that loaded one-bite into our mouths. Repeat. Yum.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; September 23, 2016, 05:38 PM.

Cool! Thanks for posting!

Comment

Saving this one! Thanx Kathryn!

Comment

Gotta try this one! Thanks, Kathryn.

Comment

I would make the pulled chuck, then make the chili right away, then freeze the chili. It sounds pretty awesome, just the way I like it with lots of different peppers!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the idea of freezing the meat in 1 lb packets because it takes up less freezer room than, say, a tubs o' chili, Mosca . But hey, whatever floats our boats! Nothing not to like about the convenience of pulling a nice fully-prepared dish from the freezer!
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 16, 2016, 03:49 AM.

You got my mouth to water, and we just got back from dinner...

Comment

For those that are interested, I have couple of Chile Colorado riffs on my cooking blog site (which I rarely update any more). They are slow cooker recipes but could be easily done in the pressure cooker. http://markiscooking.com/?p=18 and http://markiscooking.com/?p=19

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Mark mgaretz , I like your Mole-ization of your Chile Colorado recipe. Sounds like it would be fun to try. Thanks for the links!

I adapted this recipe from a recipe I devised for the slow cooker for Chile Colorado. It turned out just as good in the pressure cooker, I'm happy to say. And lots faster!
              Last edited by fzxdoc; June 16, 2016, 03:45 AM.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chili Colorado.... going to have to try this!

Comment

For anyone who has a pressure cooker, I recently discovered the trick of adding frozen chicken to the cooker to make a quick supper preparation from this website: Insta-Chicken in the Instant Pot . Immediately I had to adapt that recipe for more chicken pieces.

Anyway, I figured if the Instant Pot worked so well for frozen raw chicken, it would work even faster for frozen cooked pulled beef or pulled pork. And it does!

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc Great idea with the chuckies. When I give my peppers to my sister in law. She scorches them, then puts them in small, four pepper bunches, then she freezes them. Each bunch is perfect for one bowl of chili. (salsa to Gringos) It works great. I like using this idea for pulled beef. You can use it in so many applications. Thanks for the heads up Kathryn!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome, Spinaker . Good idea about freezing the charred peppers. I bet they're flavor bombs!

K.

Great idea. I think I will use some chuckie to do a Texas style chili, like the JKAL recipe from serious eats.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do that all the time, Potkettleblack. Pulled chuckie is delicious in Texas-style chili. Love that JKAL recipe, too. You've got some good eating ahead.

This sounds really good. Anything other than time that would be different if I made it in my slow cooker or chili pot on the stove top?

Comment

No difference, Bob's BBQ . I would use the same amounts listed, just toss it into the slow cooker or saucepan on stove top. There are conversions between pressure cooker and conventional recipes but I'm not astute enough to have researched them.

For this recipe, I took my slow cooker recipe using about 3.5 lbs raw beef chuck in 1 inch cubes and converted the recipe for a pressure cooker using 1 lb of frozen cooked smoked pulled beef. I experimented and fortunately it turned out great.

Kathryn

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
                    Bob's BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Kathryn, I'll give it a try.

Bob

Oh, wow, and thank you, fzxdoc !!

Been years since I made chili, but I think I'll start ordering some chili powders. Making my mouth water! Thank you for posting it!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was a powdered chile guy for ever, until this past year, when I finally went to dried chiles.

This recipe changed my view of the thing:

Now, imagine that with a smoked chuckie.
                    Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 21, 2016, 08:41 AM.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for that link, Potkettleblack. I hadn't seen it that one before. I'm going to give it a try, adapting it of course for some smoked meats. I'm a huge KLA fan. Do you have his awesome book?

K.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah. Funny story about the book. I was hoping for someone to get it for me for the holidays, and wife struck out and folks struck out. Bro sent me a couple of cookbooks and told me a third was coming. Finally, the Food Lab. Only thing I wanted, last thing I got.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here