Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime brisket on the 26" kettle & Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished my first brisket and it was wonderful thanks to the recipes and tips in Meathead's book. Best I've ever eaten. My problem is, I started the meat at 0700 and it was finished about 12 1/2 hours later. I wanted to eat around 1800, not two hours later. So my question is if I don't want to get up at oh-dark-thirty to start cooking, is there a way to begin cooking one day and finish it the next so it would be possible to serve in the afternoon? Would the Texas Crutch work?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      ldfitch Welcome to the pit!
      With a kettle and SnS I have started brisket at midnight and it rocked solid all night.
      You can also run a little hotter and wrap at 170 or so.
      Last edited by Powersmoke_80; June 11, 2016, 11:09 PM.

I was going to suggest the crutch, but it will likely soften your bark. You can firm it back up over the coals or in the oven.

Comment

- that is one seriously droolicious packer. I can't wait to see that bad boy on a plate!

Comment

Right on track with my last brisket (last summer ) 10 hrs on the smoker (~8.5hrs unwrapped until past the stall a ways, ~1.5hr wrapped) and another 2 hrs "power cambroing" which I define as sitting in the kettle still, just at a lower temp like 160-170. Total cook time until eating ~12 hrs. 1 hour to go to make that happen.....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Garth Brooks- That Summer....."I cooked a brisket for her that summer......"

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard "the sweat, the sunlight, and the smoke..."

Very nice Huskee ...

Glad to see you got a beautiful prime grade packer. Your putting some magic skills on that bad boy. I'm drolling just looking at it. 12 hours is a fairly short cook time compared to what it normally takes me but I don't use the Texas crutch.

Are you going to make beef love with your fat trimmings?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          If I have actual rendered tallow or lard, ready for baking or frying, can that be Beef Love?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack Sure, just paint it on a reverse-seared steak or roast right as you're getting ready to sear!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome.

OK did I miss the end results or did they get posted somewhere else?
        Could someone please send me the link to them!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Suspect maybe Huskee is still eating... Wink

Ha ha, sorry guys...I'm just now waiting for my "Cloud" pictures to show up on my PC so I can post.

Turned out well! Super super tender. In some shots it looks dry but it wasn't, it was very moist. The point was just amazing. The flat, super tender. It was exactly what I'd hoped it'd be! Pics as soon as they show up in my Camera Roll folder (I didn't have Wifi turned on on my phone, or they'd have been there last night!) Powersmoke_80 HorseDoctor richinlbrg

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          So the big question, IYHO is a SRF waygu worth the extra $100 compared to a $50 Prime?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Powersmoke_80 if all Prime briskets are like this one, then no way Jose! If Wagyu was only $10-15 more, perhaps. It's not equal to its market price IMHO.

So, you separated the point before the cook and trimmed the fat ... never tried that! Did you make burnt ends? The timing of your post is uncanny, was just thinking bout doing a large brisket on my kettle, but wondered how long the Sns would carry before I needed to recharge it. Thanks for sharing )

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome. I didn't separate, just trimmed the fat between and laid it back and cooked it whole. My next one I might try separating them. You get ~8-10 hrs between coal fills with the SnS, ~5-6 hrs of water, but I don't refill it after it's gone.

Ok, so I figured out the cloud/camera roll error and got my pics finally.

Here's the best glamour shot I have- the super tender flat. My brisket sword had no trouble slicing these and they flopped over like limp bacon when held up, pulled apart with no force at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160612_074500.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	180073

My deep smoke ring experiment didn't work. Gnomes I guess.

And here's the fatty point, which was a crowd favorite and didn't last long.

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	180074

Powersmoke_80 let me know when you can hook me up again bro! Oh...and where are your pics mister?

Comment

The pictures are worth the wait, Huskee . What a beautiful cook. Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Potkettleblack ...

Just render the fat down to a liquid form. Let it cool to room temperature and then pour it into ice cube trays. Then put them in a freezer bag and store them in your freezer. That way you have small quantities on hand when you need it. Put one in a ramekin and nuke it to re-liquify it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
          Potkettleblack ...

Just render the fat down to a liquid form. Let it cool to room temperature and then pour it into ice cube trays. Then put them in a freezer bag and store them in your freezer. That way you have small quantities on hand when you need it. Put one in a ramekin and nuke it to re-liquify it.
          I think I have better than that. Tallow shelf stable for years in my pantry. Lard stable in the fridge or freezer.

At Fatworks, we craft healthy animal cooking fats, lard, and more that you can buy! Incorporate healthy fats into your life style with our quality products.

I just spoon it out when I need it, mostly for searing off SV.
          Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 13, 2016, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            That's an excellent option, no doubt. Thanks for posting the link.

I use my method because I'm paying $3.26 per pound for the 4 or 5 pounds of fat I'm trimming off of my briskets. Waste not, want not.😆
            Last edited by Breadhead; June 13, 2016, 08:03 AM.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            When i burn through the tallow I have from this jar, I might do a brisket to trim and make my own. But largely cooking for two, so the need to do a whole packer is pretty light. Especially if the wife finds chuck roast to fill her brisket need. SWMBL is more into brisket than I am.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I save brisket trimmings, pork butt trimmings and ALL of my bacon fat.👌

Very nice!

I'm in Vancouver BC and I drive down to Seattle to get my meat. I just picked up 2 Prime packers briskets in Costco (Kirkland WA) for 2.99 / lb. I am going to wet age it for ~30 days and then smoke it in a Traeger Pellet Smoker. I did one a couple weeks ago and it was life changing I'll start another thread with pictures and description of the cook.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Great, please do!

My wife made brisket chili with the leftover portion of flat. She adds potatoes to our chili, making it more hearty & stew-like.

Of course a picture of it does it zero justice, but one word: Omygoshthisisawesome.

Name:	brisketchili.PNG
Views:	136
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	180440

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here