Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite cut of steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite cut of steak?

Love me a good steak.

Curious, what's everyone's favorite cut? Mignon and Kobe are obviously the upper echelons of tenderness and amazing-ness, but a NY Strip is my go to for the grill and at a steakhouse. I used to think Ribeyes were below quality, as back in the day, mom and I used to get "stuck" with them while my older brother and dad got the NY Strips, but now I have to re-evaluate my opinion. Thinking of grabbing a few soon, but the selection at the local store looked a little too fatty and small, so I passed.

Skirt and flank are great easy cooks to slap on the grill for a sandwich or a quesadilla, but anyone else out there got some ideas to try? Haven't dabbled in a tri-tip or a vegas cut, but steak is steak is steak is great and it's alllll good.

Chime in!

R i b e y e
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n177529[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +50^ right on martybartram ... Give me a 2" thick Cowboy cut of Prime grade Ribeye and I'm in BBQ heaven.😋

this would make a great poll...

Comment

• KiloVolt89
      KiloVolt89 commented
      Editing a comment
      True! But that also would leave no space for stories and a longer answer than just a multiple choice option!

Ribeye. Though I will say that the Outback Special sirloin has been really good the few times I've had one.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      X2! I don't remember the last time I ordered steak at a restaurant.

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I pretty much stick with the sirloin at Outback, though I get it wood fired as the normal rub is too peppery for me.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Same as you, Breadhead . I always wound up being disappointed with restaurant steaks, so I stopped getting them and go with something I don't make at home.

My favorite is ribeye, followed by T-bone and strips.

Hanger. Ribeye Cap. Inside skirt.

don't get me wrong. I've had and made great ribeyes. I've had and made great strips. I've had great sirloin. But I like these funkier cuts a bit better.

Comment

My two most favorite cuts of steak, in no particular order are:

1) Ribeye
      2) Ribeye

Cooked one of two ways, in no particular order:

1) Medium rare
      2) Medium rare

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said my man! Well said.👍

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I think those are in fact in a particular order

I especially like a med rare ribeye cut from boneless ribeye that has dry aged for 30-35 days in my refrigerator.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        http://www.drybagsteak.com/ All you need to know. If you can run a vacuum packer, you're good to go.

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's another option, quicker but with decent effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9SJqqjdEqY

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I just had my first Umai steaks. I bought a 14# hunk of NY Strip from Costco and aged them 40 days. It had a nutty/earthy flavor. Delish. Got about 14# of ribeye in there now.

I gotta go with the OP and say NY Strip. If tri-tip qualifies as a steak then if properly cooked, it's a tie for 1st place with the NY strip.

Comment

MBMorgan - I"m with you ... I've gotta go with the NY Strip done on the rare side of medium rare. And likewise on the Tri-Tip. Hard to beat combo, especially done via a reverse sear.

Comment

My all time favorite is a well marbled NY Strip, hands down. It's just got the perfect texture to me, meaty & solid. And I like them anywhere from rare to medium, with med-rare being my target. A porterhouse is a close second (which is just a strip with a side of filet).

Ribeyes are usually way too fatty for me, after cooking a ribeye's yield is like a brisket (what did I just pay for!?!)...but I wouldn't turn down a ribeye that's for sure. Especially if I was offered one at Pit Boss' house. I buy ribeyes when they're on sale I certainly don't shun them.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Lang... It is shocking to me that any butcher would have the balls to price choice brisket flats for $8.49 per pound.😡

I buy full packers at Costco here in Torrance, California that are USDA Prime for $3.29 per pound.😋

• LangInGibsonia
            LangInGibsonia commented
            Editing a comment
            It must be a regional thing because it's not just the grocers. There's a retail counter at one of the local beef farms. Same thing, $8.99. Even flank steak is the same price. Rib and loin primal steaks are from $15-20/lb.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Lang... The average full packer is about 15 pounds. So the difference in cost is $78. You ought to order them over the phone from the Costco here in Torrance, California and have them ship it to your location. The freight couldn't possibly be that expensive.🤔

I would go with NY Strip followed by Ribeye but I really love tri-tip, hanger and skirt steak these days. I definitely by the last three much more often, even when a beautiful strip or ribeye are sitting next to them.

Comment

Always seems to depend on the quality of the grade but I'd say my preferred cut is a Churrasco cut filet, second favorite cut is a prime marbled NY strip and 3rd is a ribeye (although this is usually my go to). In a pinch i combine 2 and 3 and get a porterhouse/T-bone .

Oh yeah I asked for barely more than branded only, so rare- medium rare, haha.

Comment

I love a 2" prime ribeye when I'm feeling spendy. I've also r center discovered chuckeye steaks. If I'm not mistaken they're from the same muscle as the ribeye, just further up in the shoulder. Whatever muscle it is, is marbeled, tender and delicious. And waaaay cheaper than ribeye.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Chuckeyes are the poor man's ribeye! I love them things. I just find that they unroll when cooking and they end up looking like I hit them with my lawnmower. But they are every bit as tasty as a ribeye.

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotta admit ... I buy every chuck eye steak I can find. Not for steak, though ... for grinding into perfect hamburger.

• LangInGibsonia
                LangInGibsonia commented
                Editing a comment
                I use it for that too MBMorgan

Geezer report - or one of those "good ol days" stories
              The old style cut of a pin bone sirloin tops my list. The top portion was cut on a different angle than today's boneless top sirloin, and with a slab of the heavy end of the filet, everybody was happy. I haven't been ably to get a pin bone sirloin For years. But when I was a meat cutter, I cut thousands of them and always waited for a fantastic one to come along. I keep hoping.....

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds great! Sirloins are underrated I think.

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Gator Lau, You sound as if you have cut meat at sometime! I am with you all the way, give me a good
                1 1/2" to 2" Dry Aged Sirloin and Give the Gobby Others to the Dogs! From Fargo ND, Dan

I've always loved a big Ol' Honkin' Ribeye, but after reading this I may have to give the NY Strip another try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here