Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best quality steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bragging here. This isn't about where to buy the best beef but where it's raised. Living in South Dakota I gotta believe we have access to some of the best beef anywhere. As our kids have grown and moved to other parts of the world the one comment they always make is the beef where they now live at isn't as good as what they had growing up! And their next question is "Would you bring some when you come?" Wherever you live there is something great about it that you don't realize until you leave and move somewhere else.

Comment

Sjmueller I have ordered from KC steaks and Omaha steaks generally find them not that great for the price. They have a bit of a plastic taste, not sure if it's from the packaging etc... I'm fortunate to have some good grocers locally but, I have been searching for some more natural beef perveyors. I searched for grass fed locally and found this http://www.abetterwaybeef.com/index.html

In searching for this place we found them on a website that had local farmers from all around the nation so it's worth looking online for something like this.

We've ordered from them several times and they dry age the beef on the side before processing and it's amazing! The steaks we get from them don't look as neat and even but the flavor is unreal. They are slightly leaner (sad) but still juicy. I've found the grass-fed to cook slightly faster so use your temp probe if you get something like this.

Comment

I feel like I have a pretty wide variety of places to get good meat around me. From the local chain grocery stores, the smaller family run boutique grocery store, the local butcher shop or the costco/sams. I live within 15 min of every one of those places, I buy meat at all of them and they all have some good/great cuts at different times. I order from Snake River Farms about once a year and normally save those cuts of meat for special occasions. If you purchase any of their gold grade steaks you will not be disappointed. When I prepare those SRF cuts at home they are one of the best steaks I have ever had and my guests always agree as well.

Comment

After much consideration I put an order in with SRF, they had really good reviews and they seem to take a lot of pride in the quality of their meat. The order isn't scheduled to come in until the end of next week but I'll try and get an update and let everyone know how they turned out. I wanted to thank everyone for their advice. It made the choice difficult (but that's what I live for)

Comment

Everyone posted on this thread is correct on the where to buy. My preference, in no particular order is Costco, Lobels, Flannery Beef, Allen Bros., and SRF, as I've bought from all. They all have specials which I follow. I bought a prime packer for $2.69 lb. at Costco, just received 4 tomahawk Ribeyes from SRF which are being cooked today on Weber/SnS. I like Flannery Beef because all their beef is dry aged, flat rate shipping $9.95 and they carry the ribeye cap. Lobels and Allen Bros. both supply top steak houses although their shipping charges are a bit much. Shopping is almost as much fun as the actual prep and cook. As far as being frozen, that's a personal choice and when prepped, cooked properly and plated, well no one will complain. Pictures from my cook Father's Day. Those funny looking orange things are split lobster tails prepared Puerto Nuevo Baja style. Had to have something to "wash" this steak down. This was the smallest of the 4 that I cooked and still fed 3 with leftovers.
            Last edited by freddh; July 4, 2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I forgot to give an update, I got these grilled and forgot to take after pictures because...well I mean there were steaks lol. They ended up being delicious. Honestly some of the the best steaks I've ever had. I'll be sure to order from them in the future! Here's a before pic of them, just came out of the fridge so they did get a little more color before I put them on the grill. But again, very good!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad your steaks were delicious!

I am a big Flannery's fan. http://www.flannerybeef.com/. Best to shop the "helluva deals" section first and get on his mailing list to get periodic deals. I don't think anyone does it better than Brian. The nicest people too, a family business, and he is obsessed with his quality. The burger builder area is TREMENDOUS and very fairly priced for what it is. Burger freezes great as well. I can vouch for his lamb and pork as well, superb quality.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here