Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrap or Not? Does it make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap or Not? Does it make a difference?

Ok so my IT at the flat is 180 right now. Do I need to wrap and then continue to 203 or can I leave it unwrapped all the way to 203? Thoughts please?

@SlushDizzy - It depends on your cooker, what you are cooking, water pan and how you like your finished food. Give us more information and we can make better suggestions.

Comment

Brisket. No water pan. Fat side up.

Comment

What she look like with respect to both sides?

Comment

Underside is real dark. Top side not as dark.

Comment

FOR ME (and me only) I think it depends on two criteria.
            1). Is time a constraint? Wrapping will speed it along
            2). How do you prefer your bark? Wrapping will soften your bark, but you can, when done, either broil or grill the bark firmer.

Again, that is just me.

Comment

Dinners not til 5 and I'd like to have it resting by 2. 181 for last hour and half. Guess I'm having a second stall. 😡

Comment

Should I flip it for even browning?

Comment

I'm using a kamado with the diffuser and a water pan. I usually just push through the stall without wrapping but we're using different rigs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• SlushDeezey
                    SlushDeezey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That looks like one delicious hunk of meat. Is that from today?

• Dusty
                    Dusty commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! Yes, put it on this early morning and it just hit 200 so time to get it resting.

Pulled it when the IT was about 201 and cambro'd (1:30p.m). Miscalculated by a couple of degrees but oh well, the last one I pulled at 179 and put it in the cambro and it came out fabulous after only an hour so hoping for great results. Pics to come this evening.

Comment

So through it all this one came out better than the last. Rested a full three hours in cambro and meat was juicy and tender. I forgot to mention that I had injected a can of low sodium chicken broth (was out of beef broth) prior to rubbing and just after salting.

Comment

I'd be very happy with your results SlushDeezey .

Comment

SlushDeezey looks like you did a great job on the brisket...love the bark! Congrats.

Comment

• SlushDeezey
                          SlushDeezey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you. This website and you guys' help laid any fears that I had about brisket to rest.

Alright I'm going to confess something here. I put it under the broiler on high for five minutes once I took the foil off so that the bark would set. That's the one thing that I hate about foiling is that it softens the bark too much. Father in law said he's never had brisket so tender that it falls apart.

Comment

I should add that this 12.5 lb brisket cost me a little over 20.0 at 1.67 a pound. I was skeptical about it since it was "ungraded" but it would appear to have been at least a choice cut. I figured if it took a turn for the worse I could stomach 20.00 loss.

Comment

• boftx
                            boftx commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I make a point to use choice or select for my brisket since part of BBQ is to make average meat taste like gourmet food. That said, you had better believe I jump on good deals for prime rib-eyes and tri-tip.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here