Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket, take 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket, take 2!

Doing brisket for the second time for tomorrow's big BBQ party. First one was in October and the cut, while a decent piece of meat, was some unnamed portion of the whole brisket. This time I was able to get the whole thing from Costco. Unfortunately I got it yesterday and not 30-45 days ago, so that'll be next attempt's big change.

October's came out great btw… so I and my guests have high expectations for this one!

I'll be smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain, starting around 10pm tonight for an eating time of around 2pm tomorrow. May adjust start time after I finish re-reading Meathead's excellent tome of an article on brisket here. Wish me luck!

Huh already a big question. To separate flat and point, or not to? The article suggests doing it but in the video Meathead does not. Also if it reduces cooking time that means I'll have to start around 2am at which point I'd rather be snoring. Thoughts?

Comment

I would think that separating would allow you to pull each off at the correct temp, but as far as times go, I'll let the experts speak to that.

Comment

I'm gonna leave it as a whole piece. I've sliced to partially separate the two parts so that seasoning could get between them and it'll be easier to separate afterwards. I need the long cook so I'll go with one piece, no crutch.

Comment

How did Brisket #2 turn out?

Comment

Slicing and trimming fat is mandatory, trust me! I didn't do that this time (lack of time) and paid a price for it. As for cooking time, I always use 1 1/2hr/lb as a rule of thumb and sometimes adjust upwards for cuts over 10lbs. Bottom line for me, I greatly prefer cooking whole cuts for overall quality of outcome, no matter what grade. I strongly suggest a crutch at the start of the stall or a boat when coming out of it to get juice to put back into it at the end.

Comment

Meat went on at 8:00, so a bit later than planned but still in range. Injected with beef broth and slathered in spiced around noon today so nicely seasoned. Having some difficulties with my Weber Smokey Mountain though… it's not stabilizing temp very well. I've noticed the last few smokes that it's getting harder and harder to maintain temp. Do these things "wear out"?! Anyway also have some lovely beans underneath catching the good drippings. Man I can't wait for lunch tomorrow.

Comment

It got cold last night and that hurt my smoke. I got up a few times to stoke the fire but 12 hours in and the meat has stalled a few times. Once for an hour at 140F, then for 2½ hours at 150F, then it slowly dropped to 140F again while I slept! Grrr… it's on the rise again now. I say again, I think my WSM is getting *harder* to manage.

I need a Lang…

Comment

Never finished the story…

OVerall it was a success, in that everyone though it was fantastic and devoured the entire brisket. Personally I felt it could have been better — both moister and more flavorful. Always my worst critic.

Keeping the temp up was the hardest part and I realized at some point that I should have left the water reservoir empty, which someone told me once before but I forgot.

There's always next time ;-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here