Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! I forgot you said it was 154, but yes she's medium well. It will only soften and delishify from here!
    I'm enjoying reading your progress...

Comment

I'm afraid of it -- means I'm afraid I won't be able to hold off. I know I need to keep it closed up but it was good. Cannot wait till it's complete and eating time arrives. This may be my last post for a while or not. I may post again so I have reference points to go back to later.

I'm stoked, literally!

Comment

Whats the word MJ?

Comment

Yeah MJ we want pics of how it turned out=)

Comment

Don't be afraid of it. Just cook it low and slow get it to the temp it needs to go to to get it tender. Once you learn how long it takes to get it to the temp you can plan accordingly for the next one. Once I learned that I knew what time I needed to start prep on the brisket. I have been to some places here in Texas where they can cook a brisket in 4-5 hours and it still is good stuff. Once you get your way worked out you will be able to turn out some good brisket.

I like to use a 50/50 mix of oak and pecan pellets in my pellet smoker. I cook it about 225 degrees. I hit mine with some Woo sauce to wet it and use Texjoy BBQ Seasoning a local product to rub it down with wrap it in foil. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and then take it out. I have never crutched any of mine before. I use a Thermoworks Chef Alarm to monitor the temp. I also have a Thermoworks Pen. Best Money I ever spent thanks to Amazing Rib Reviews.. I let mine cook till it gets to 195 degrees. Then I take it and wrap it up in foil put in in my Amazing Ribs faux cambro with folded up towels on both sides this is usually early in the morning if I plan on eating it for lunch. I guess you could call that a post cooking crutch? Let it rest in there. The thick end is usually a nice moist brisket and is tender. The thin end is a little bit drier but good and tender too. Brisket is an amazing piece of meat that can be cooked different ways and come out great.

Last edited by gshayd; September 14, 2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

At about 7:30 AM I checked the IT and it was about 175 degrees. I cut off another small slice and it seemed to be quite tender. I was afraid if I kept it on that it would ultimately dry out so I pulled the flat and the larger end pieces, wrapped them in foil, and placed them in a cooler/cambro. They sat there from 8am to about noon when I unwrapped the flat.liced. and ate. It was quite good. The wife liked it too so that is all I needed. She even wants to eat the other portion for dinner tomorrow. After we do that I believe I am going to look for recipes to use the leftovers as I feel they will be dry after a short period of time. First thing in the plan is to make some chili. I'm open to simple recipes although I have one from a crock pot cookbook that would work well.

Thanks!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice job Man. WTG!

Looks great!

Might try some Brisket Enchiladas or Brisket Fajitas,Quesadillas or Tacos. There is a local place that serves beans with chopped up brisket in the beans this is killer stuff. Omelets with green onions, brisket and some peppers. I make a Camp Stew with pulled pork. Some brisket would probably work in that.
              Last edited by gshayd; September 14, 2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I thought of some brisket on top of a nice burger with blue cheese and BBQ sauce too. Plenty of great ways to utilize it.

Comment

Next time don't be afraid to wrap it and leave it on the smoker and take it to 200ish, then cambro it for a couple hours. More tender! The brisket burger idea sounds great!

Comment

I'll finalize the 1st brisket posting as we nearly finished off the entire thing. We finished off the flat and this evening I took the other fat piece and vacuum sealed it in with about 3 oz of broth. I put the vacuum sealed bag in hot water and heated up the brisket till it was "warm enough". I thought the flat was good but Mmmmmmmm on this one. The more "burnt" end is going into chili and I have a little that will become sandwiches or burger topping for maybe two.

If only I could just skip the flat in future smokes.

Comment

Those are some good looking briskets gents. Like Huskee said next time try taking them to 200 to 203F and see how they turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by morganjim View Post

If only I could just skip the flat in future smokes.
                        You can just send it to me, frozen, next day air!

Comment

Sorry Huskee - They are all out and gone. I'm headed out for another brisket now. Just have to finish the brisket video from a few days ago. I'm kinda lost at the differences between the flat, point, etc. All I know is MMMMMM.

Comment

Briskets look like scuba flippers to me, the point is where your foot goes and the flat is the big flat piece. Flats are really good for slicing, points have a higher fat content and I love chopping em up for chopped beef sandwiches.
                            As these guys said, try 200 ish. If you must, cut of a chunk of the flat at the temp you liked and let the rest sit a while. I is good at just about any temp, but the longer you cook it the more tender it gets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here