Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck for pulled beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck for pulled beef

Well I am going to attempt my first pulled beef wish me luck, I have 3 chucks to cook tomorrow, dry brine for 48hrs. injected with beef broth & rubbed with BBBR for 24hrs. what have I forgotten? All comments welcome as always, I plan to start around 4:30 AM.

Good luck! I just picked up my first chuck at Costco and am getting ready to dry brine it.

Comment

Sounds like you have the bases pretty well covered.
      I have 2 3-pounders on now. About the only thing I did differently is I put some prepared mustard on 24hrs in advance. Helps hold the BBBR on, and the vinegar in the mustard helps break down the connective tissue.
      ENJOY! This is a great recipe!

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks richinlbrg, I Did not think of that I'll try it next time.
        Dave

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        You're going to love it. I think I'm starting to prefer pulled chuckies to pulled pork!

I just did my first two about ten days ago. I would definitely wrap when you get the amount of bark that you like. Take them up to about 207 IT. A good 90 minute rest in the foil in faux cambro or warm oven afterward will make it really tender. richinlbrg, I'm with you on the chuckies! Beats pulled pork any day. too bad it's four times as expensive.

Also:
      https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-chuck-roasts

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77, Thanks I Have the cooler & towels ready

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure it "beats" pulled pork, but it sure is good! Best choice is a pan of pulled beef next to a pan of pulled pork.

Thunder77 is absolutely right, the faux cambro is an absolute must, Darchie03 !

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you richinlbrg, I know i spend way to much time in the pit but every time I log in I learn something new.

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto, Darchie03 !

Darchie03, we want pictures! 😃

Comment

Jerod Broussard what is your current SV + smoker technique for chuck roast? I have one dry brining overnight and I'm trying to decide what to do with it tomorrow evening.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing really. If I could do another I would probably do at least 48 hours at a hundred forty-five degrees and then sear on the pit.

This thread reminds me go get some chuckies - it's been too long. Last look their prices were down about a $1 per lb, but still more than twice the price of boston butts.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          fuzzydaddy, here in the Baltimore area, they are going for about $3.99 a pound. I was lucky a week ago to get some USDA prime on sale for $3.99. for me that's like 3 times the cost of of a butt. Too bad, because pulled beef is fast becoming a favorite of mine!

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          $4.99 in the value pack around NEPA. Compare that to the bone in pork shoulders, which go for .99 to 1.39, depending. Or brisket flats for $6.79.

Would one of you be so good as to point me to the referenced pulled beef recipe? Looked through the "Tested Recipes" tab, did the search, etc. I'm sure I'm just overlooking it.

I'm a huuuuge fan of Pepper Stout Beef and also have a mean smoked beef stew recipe, so interested in making the comparison to what I already do and love.

EDIT: Might it be the obvious sticky regarding Chuck Roast on the PBC?
        Last edited by Pequod; May 23, 2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          @pequob, actually it's the same as pulled pork only using beef & it needs to go about 208-210 deg. then faux cambro for about 90 min.

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          Great, thanks! Was wondering if it was that or a more doctored up version like PSB.

Well they are on I became ill around midnight last night so when I finally got to sleep I didn't make it up as early as I had planed . This may run well in to the night hrs.today. Thunder77, Here are the first Pics.
        Dave

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good so far! I hope you're feeling better.

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77, Some what better thanks, it was something I ate (that I didn't cook)

Pequod ,

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-chuck-roasts

Comment

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect, thanks!

The best web for pulled beef or pork is http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!pulled-...ck-roast/c1482

Comment

Finally here are the rest of the photos. I could not get them to go above 202 dg. even tho I raised the cooking chamber to 260 from 225. 21/2 hrs at 260 & the temp did not rise I have know idea why. Total cook time was13hrs & 45 min. (finished cook at 9: PM it was for today not the day of the cook) they pulled very easy & finished item tastes pretty darn good. What does every one think? this was my first attempt at pulled Beef.
          Dave

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks awesome! Any leftovers can be sent to my house. :-)

A great lookin' finished product.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here