Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast timing?

I'm going to smoke a 3lb chuck roast without wrapping. I normally start cooks around 10-12 pm for overnight. This has worked for me well with butts and brisket that take 12+ hours. But the times I've seen about chuck seem to indicate that that will get to 200ish much quicker. How should I expect? Should it take long enough to survive 8-10 hours unattended from when it starts? This is at 225 on BGE.
    Last edited by RichBrew; May 20, 2016, 09:34 PM. Reason: Add temp

It depends on how thick it is. Is it fairly cubical, similar in thickness to the avg pork butt you do? Sometimes chucks tend to be like really large steaks- less height than footprint. But honestly, I think you'll be good to leave it for 8-10 if you wanting to go unwrapped.

Comment

Not quite cubish, but it's 21/2-3 inches thick

Comment

They really need to get to almost 210 to be able to be pulled. Worry more about under cooking.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. It went on at 1am. I'm about to head to bed and see will see what it looks like when I,wake up.

Comment

I'd almost be tempted to say get the bark you want in the smoker then throw it in the slow cooker so you can shred it and use it for taquitos or enchiladas.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't advocate the use of slow cookers, can't call it BBQ, much like sous vide. Hehe

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, but notice I said "almost".

• badf00d
              badf00d commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha.

Not that anyone asked what I do, (especially boftx ) but I'd let it sit at 207, 209, 210, like Jerod says, for an hour or two, then proceed with pulling. Chuck needs more time than pork butt to soften and pull. This is, of course, if you're making pulled beef out of it.

Comment

I did one last May on a Weber 22.5 with a 2X2 fuse around a Vortex. This was my first, so cook temps ran up / down as shown by the chart. We didn't pull this one, but as I remember it was quite good sliced. You will see where it stalled, and where I crutched it.

The long wait is well worth it...

Found a pic of the whole roast, but none sliced up...

-- Ed Click image for larger version

Name:	Beef_Chuck_052415.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	170589

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck_Chart.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	170572
              Last edited by Medusa; May 21, 2016, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice graph, Medusa. That picture says more than 1000 words.

RichBrew, When you Posted your Question you didn't say if You Intend to Slice your Roast or Pull it those scenarios have different answers! I am Curious as I am going to Smoke an Arm Roast tomorrow for Slicing!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I woke up a half hour ago to 178, so you guys nailed it. Danjohnston949 I'm trying something I found a few weeks ago. About 3 weeks ago I cooked a 7lb brisket flat, with no one but me and my wife to eat it. After 4 days of eating it she announced that she was tired of smoked meat for a while. So I said 'how bout pot roast?' She only figured out last night that I was gonna smoke that too.
                Attached Files
                You won't find a more hearty meal than my tender smoked chuck roast with potatoes and carrots and in this article, I show you exactly how to do it.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RichBrew, That Looks Just GRRR--888! Thanks for the Link! 👍👍👍👍👍
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

• Harry
                  Harry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed, thanks for the link, for your question, and for the answers to it. We have a chuck roast in the freezer scheduled for cooking in June. You saved me hours of research and fretting.

This was a big success. Everyone who ate it demanded I do this again often. Personally, I thought the veggies ruined it, I've never like veggies much, and would have preferred pulled beef.

I cut the recipie in half, used 3/4 teaspoon of celery seed and 3/4 teaspoon of onion powder instead of celery/onions (I can't stand that crunch). I found this little bag of 'gemstone potatoes' at the grocery store and used those.

I put the beef broth, Chianti, Lea & Perrins, celery seed, onion powder in a little saucepan and simmer it so I wouldn't add cold liquid, then added it at 200. It took about another 2-3 hours and pulld perfectly at 210.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Superb! I'm hungry again. Well done.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here