Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat iron steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat iron steak

What cut of beef is a flat iron steak? I know it's not a listed regular cut of beef.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 19, 2016, 03:36 PM.

It's cut from the shoulder.

"Flat iron steak (US), butlers' steak (UK), or oyster blade steak (Australia and New Zealand) is a cut of steak cut with the grain from the shoulder of the animal. This produces a flavorful cut that is a bit tough because it contains a gristly fascia membrane unless removed.[1] Some restaurants offer it on their menu, often at lower price than the more popular rib-eye and strip steaks of the same grade. This is used, in some places, as a means of selling a less expensive cut from the same animal, for example Kobe beef."

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you now I have an idea what it is. Would it be like chuck in taste & tenderness?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Rfuilrez is right. It literally sits on the shoulder blade. As for similarity with the chuck; maybe taste, but not tenderness. Cooked right (hot n fast) it turns out quite good.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Darchie03 I like to call it a poor man's fillet.

Thank you I am just trying to figure out why the store wants almost twice the price of chuck for flat iron. we don't have a butcher shop with in a 100 miles of where I am in the summer so I must deal with supermarkets.
    Last edited by Darchie03; May 18, 2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

a flat iron stake? might be a little tough on the toof!

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Iswydt

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think that's what I'm going to try & grill. I'll try most anything once.

Here's a great site for info on beef cuts; it has a search function and all the wholesale cut numbers so you can possibly talk to your butcher. Recipes too, large quantities, but gives you an idea of typical preparation. http://www.beeffoodservice.com/newcuts1.aspx

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much. I bookmarked that site so I won't have to ask if I run across another cut I'm not familiar with
        Dave

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        (Doc) Hazzard this is a great resource. Thanks much. They have so many different cuts from the chuck. I never know exactly what I am getting.

Well now I know what flat iron stake tastes like, this was a small cryo pack of USDA choice I bought 2 the other one is twice as thick so it should turn out better. It was dry brined over night & made a past out of BBBR & applied an hr. or so before cooking. Cooked at 215 till 120 internal then reverse seared for a few minutes on each side was afraid to let it go very log because it was thin. It came out mostly between med.rear & med. flavor was very good. Any comments as always are appreciated.
      Thanks Dave
      Last edited by Darchie03; May 19, 2016, 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        for something that thin, I think hot and fast, with plenty of flipping, rather than reverse sear.

Warp 10 that sucka!!!!

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry but I don't understand your post I am a little slow at times.
        Dave

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Torch that thing on the grill. Hot and fast my friend. Darchie03

My sister bought me a SRF gold grade flat iron last summer. I felt bad because she spent a hundred bucks on a 1.5 pound cut of meat that I was wholly unfamiliar with. It turned out great though, I just seasoned it with salt and pepper, slow cooked it with the SNS and it came out pretty tender and tasty.

It's not a cut I'll go looking for in the future though, especially at SRF prices.

Comment

Flat iron is the house steak here. Dry-brine them. Then cook hot and fast. Slice them in board sauce. Never eat filet mignon again.
        I also do hanger steak a couple times a year. My favorite.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here, except one of our butchers has been selling 8-10 oz. fillets for $6.19 each so we haven't had a flat iron in quite some time.

Thank you one & all for the comments. It was quite tasty & not very tough. But they will have to put it on sale again before I can afford to buy another one, think I'll fix the other one I got at the same time in about 10 days or so. Cryo pack says it's good till 6/05 so I wont have to freeze it.
        Dave

Comment

In our house flatiron steak is a staple. I can get it from my local Kroger for $6.99/lb and they are usually about 2 lb each. I do have a local butcher that sells 6 oz bacon wrapped filet mignon for $7.99 each and when ever I am in the area I usually by 10-12 of them.

Comment

The Flat Iron is the 2nd most tender cut on a cow and a much more satisfying beefy flavor than the tenderloin--just gotta get that membrane removed. Love this recipe for steak au poivre using the flat iron:

Comment

• Darchie03
              Darchie03 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you @ohn Tanner, I will need to try that next time I find flat iron on sale.
              Dave

Yes, thanks all! The wife just brought one home 33% off flat iron steak. sweet.

Comment

I bought some skirt steaks a few weeks back. The butcher went back and cut off 5 lbs of it for me. When I got home they were rolled up like a cinimmom roll. But man they tasted
              great. Just trimmed em sliced "against the grain"(very important). Here are some sliced in half, then against the grain
              Attached Files

Comment

That looks tasty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here