Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name that Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name that Roast?

So I've been a member here for almost a year and learned how to make some awesome food from so many people here. I have tried to find a Packers Brisket but can only mange to find flats here. Well my brother works at a steak house and had talked to the owner of the chain and they weren't able to get them through their supplier. The owner brought 2 of these roasts in and told my brother they were Tri Tip (which just by looking at them I don't believe they are) but that they were what he would recommend for smoking. Each roast weighs about 7 pounds and the owner gave them to me for my birthday. I smoked one to 115F yesterday using a modified BBBR (no sugar, with the addition of white pepper) and oak chunks, loaded it up, made the hour drive to my parents and reverse seared it in a cast iron skillet till the center was 125F and the outer cuts were 135F perfect to meet the needs of everyone in the family. My question is, does anyone know what this cut is? It was amazing and I'd like to be able to purchase it more often once I run out of leftovers and smoke the second one I have.

Thank you for having the best site I could ever find for cooking.
    Attached Files

I'm not a meat cut expert, but it looks like part of the roast is the tri-tip. If you look at your third picture the part to the left of where the break in the muscle is looks very much like the tri-tip. That would make the other part the ball tip. Both are parts of the bottom sirloin.

It looks like you sliced with the grain. Your meat will taste much more tender if you slice across the grain. Look on the AR main site in the tri-tip area for directions on how to slice a tri-tip.
    Last edited by mgaretz; May 16, 2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• jkwagner
      jkwagner commented
      Editing a comment
      mgaretz thanks for the feedback on the cut of meat, I was curious if it was Tri Tip and Ball Tip but wasn't sure. That was just the center cut and to find which way the grain was running. Sliced it up against the grain, just didn't get any pictures because everyone was grabbing as it was sliced lol

jkwagner Looks like a sirloin cap steak to me. I've purchased these at Costco, although not a 7-lb'er! In any case, it looks cooked to perfection.

Comment

• jkwagner
      jkwagner commented
      Editing a comment
      Ray thanks, it was delicious. Sirloin cap and bottom sirloin were possibilities I thought of too. I'm just curious what it actually was because it was some of the best I'd ever had.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here