Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Attempt to Clone "Pastrami - Perfected"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Attempt to Clone "Pastrami - Perfected"

A while back, David Parrish posted his process for "Pastrami - Perfected", Here's the post:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rami-perfected

I love pastrami, and have been following Meathead's "Close to Katz's" recipe with minor modifications for several batches. But Pit Boss' boneless short rib version looked so delicious, that I decided I had to try it. Problem number one, none of the places around here that I know of had anything that they called "short ribs", boneless or otherwise. Several places sold what they called "chuck short ribs", both boneless and bone-in. Near as I can tell, chuck short ribs are from the first 5 ribs, while others are from higher numbered ribs, and the "chuck" variety may have a little less marbling. In addition, the boneless chuck short ribs may be just chunks of meat cut from the chuck roll.

So, time for an experiment:
    1) Bought bone-in chuck ribs and de-boned them;
    2) Eventually found a market that had pre-packaged "boneless short ribs" (the counter person did not know if they were from the chuck or not);
    3) Cut a piece of choice brisket flat;
    and 4) Cut a piece of brisket point.
    Cut the brisket into pieces about the same size as the short rib pieces. Picture below shows the raw meat from left to right as enumerated above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami-1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	168581

All were processed as nearly as possible the way Pit Boss described in his post. The only change was that we use about half the black pepper that Meathead recommends, and add an equal weight of juniper berries. Picture below shows the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	168582

First off, all 4 were very good, the bark was excellent, and the meat was tender and moist. But this was a test, so there had to be winners and losers. My daughter did the blind taste test, and decided that the short rib versions were both the juiciest, and most tender. The brisket flat was a little dry, and the brisket point was moist, but the larger meat grains were less pleasing than the finer grained short ribs.

This post is now clearly in the too long pile, so I'll end with a thank you to David Parrish for telling me how to make GREAT pastrami!
    Last edited by johnec00; May 15, 2016, 08:42 PM.

Great job, awesome test! Thanks for sharing!

Question- what characteristics do the juniper berries add to the rub? My only experience with juniper is the gin in my Tom Collins.

Comment

Huskee - I just like the flavor the juniper berries add, but it's very mild. My family has a hard time handling a heavy pepper bark, so I reduce the pepper and add the juniper berries. Before I became addicted to AR, I made pastrami based on a recipe here:

That site uses juniper berries in both the brine and the rub.

For all I know, just leaving them out of the rub, and taking a swig of gin with each bite of sandwich would be just as good . . . maybe even better!

Comment

I love that cook johnec00. That was an excellent test! Also, I'm glad you liked my technique. You made my day!

Comment

Great post! Thanks! Wonder if you could mitigate the texture differential between ribs & point by slicing point across the grain instead of with it???

Comment

HorseDoctor, the picture I posted was probably poorly composed, but when I sliced up the "candidates" for taste testing, they were all sliced across the grain. I'm not sure that "larger meat grains" is really the right way to put it, but the "mouth feel" was just not quite as pleasing for the brisket point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here