Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining Brisket

Good Carolina Morning to all y'all!
    I have read and reread the posts under Techniques and Tested Recipes. I have seen dry brining recommended any where from 1 to 48 hours depending on the cut and type of meat. I am planning to cook my first brisket this Tuesday and am planning and planning and planning right now. The beef should be fully defrosted in its cryovak by the time I get home at 3:30 today. My question is, how long is too long for dry brining? I will be out of town from Saturday morning until Monday afternoon so I can dry brine tomorrow morning or as soon as I get home on Monday.
    Thanks!

Nothing is too long. Unlike wet brining, dry brining won't get saltier as it sits since the salt you add is the only salt that's there. Most times 24-48hrs is plenty for brisket. If you can't afford that much time, try to go at least overnight with a big brisket.

The only thing you have to worry about is how long is the brisket good once thawed? Meaning, was it frozen let's say one day before its use-by date? In that case don't let it sit uncooked too long. In your case, either way should work just fine.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 Ha! You mean still.... (yawn)

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee is a lightweight, he can only eat 2 or 3 bones from a slab of ribs. Don't let him fool you with that talk of "still".

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest I ended up eating 5 or 6.

martybartram, In MHOP Marty, I would Dry Brine it either Tonight or Tomorrow Morning which ever is better for your Schedule! I think Monday Afternoon is a bit Late! I would definitely take Jerod Broussard 's(Moderator) Advice! Also check Dry Brining by Dr Blonder on the Amazing RibsSite!
    Eat Well an Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely will be doing it tonight, thanks for the advice. And I will check that article out I am not sure I have read that particular one. Pics and results to follow!

Here is the cut.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	thawing_profile.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	167100

Comment

the longer it sits the more time for the salt to penetrate and bigger chunks of meat need time. my rule is turning out to be 12 hours for every inch of thickness thus far and it seems to work out well for me

Comment

I feel like this is not starting well 😂

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't see why you would say that. As long as your fridge can hold that at about 38 degrees or so I's say you have about a 12hr cook in front of you and some good BBQ to look forward to.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol I had watched it and some others, information overload and over exuberant. I should have waited a couple of hours cuz I knew Meathead 's book was being delivered

Thanks boftx, I just felt like I screwed the cut up and should have left it uncut and just trimmed, cooked it and then separated it. Lesson learned I guess. And o do have the other half of the briscuit in the freezer that I can experiment with next time. Thanks for reminding me that experimentation doesn't mean you won't enjoy the process or the food at the end!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a fan of trim, cook, slice & eat. Don't see a reason to separate, either before or after... Lots of ways to "skin a cat". Enjoy!

So plans changed, my wife has to go to emergency dentist, so we left Asheville right after we arrived and we just pulled in to our house. I will be up before the sunrises tomorrow and get the flat started. I will use that as practice before I launch on the point on Tuesday. Bonus! my thermopen arrived as scheduled courtesy of Thunder77 so I had a welcome home package waiting for me when we arrived that I can use tomorrow. Wish me luck! Pics to follow

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          The thermopen is a nice bonus! But the Mav is my most important tool whether it be for a brisket or tri-tip.

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure! For the first time ever I was able to pull off a well done steak for my wife and have it still be juicy. Having the Mav has definitely eliminated guess work!

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          That Maverick is definitely important! I do like the instant-read, tho. I found a couple of my Maverick probes were off 7 degrees!

It is amazing how much you can learn in a single cook. There is no replacing experience! I feel much more confident and ready to cook the next one. Many thanks to all on this site, and the author’s of this site, and Meathead for putting together such a great book. I must have picked it up a dozen times today to check and recheck information. The cook log is attached as a picture and you can access it here: http://www.rhinowrestling.org/images/GrillingAndSmokin/brisket_15May2016.pdf

Comment

• sfrancis353
          sfrancis353 commented
          Editing a comment
          Read through you cook notes. Don't do brisket based on temp. It's all feel. Once you poke it and it resists like warm butter it's done. 203 is a good guideline, but some briskets are done way before.

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          sfrancis353 thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind today

• sfrancis353
          sfrancis353 commented
          Editing a comment
          Start checking doneness around 190F

Beautiful brisket. Now that's some bark there! Smoke ring ain't bad either. Well done and congrats martybartram!

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, looking forward to cooking the point on Tuesday

Started the point, made sure temps were stable and left for the doctors office. Updates tonight

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          09:52 grill holding and meat at 153

So nice to know the grill does not need a helicopter cook! Ran two 2-hour errands today. Listened to episode 4 of the pitcast in between errands. Timing was great, wife pulled into the garage an I started slicing.
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here