Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Rib Slab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Rib Slab

Harris Ranch CAB short rib slab.

Smoked about 6 hours at 225-250 on WSM. Apple and pecan wood. Meathead's BBBR.

Yes Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	165619 Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	165620 Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	165621

Wowzers!!!

Comment

Oh man - those look great!

Comment

Oh YEAH!!!! That's the way to do it! Were they as good as they look?

Comment

smokinfatties. It looks like you wrapped those beautiful beef ribs during the cook. If so, at what temperature? I also have a WSM 18.5 and would love to learn how to cook beef ribs. Looks great!
          Last edited by airforcekixbutt; May 10, 2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

And that, folks, is how its done...

Comment

Lookin' really good.

Comment

BAM! BBQ'd_Nuke nails it

Comment

A textbook example of how to do beef right! Kudos! I thought I was the only one to wrap in parchment...lol Good job. Very good job!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like pink butcher paper... ???? Probably same effect.

• Strat50
                    Strat50 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kissing cousins really, but yes,the same effect. Semi-permeable barrier, which means you get the best of both worlds: moisture retention and browning too. Love that stuff!

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes pink butcher paper. Had to try it and very happy with results so far!

airforcekixbutt To be honest i didn't look at the temperature. I Have done them multiple ways- you can smoke them at 225-250 for 6-8 hours until probe tenderness (203) with just a salt and pepper rub and they will turn out excellent. I used Meatheads BBBR for these ones and it was amazing. I wrapped them for the rest only on these guys to maintain some moisture. Resting in foil speeds up the temp increase but foil tends to braise too much. Butcher paper helps maintain the bark. Also, slabs and single ribs cook differently obviously so i would just go with the probe tenderness test. Approximate times for single ribs are 5-6 hours and the slab is another 1-2 hours. Hope this helps. I would recommend trying the single giant spare ribs first with a few different rubs etc to see what you prefer. They arent cheaop but dont break the bank either. and the flavor is amazing. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions

Comment

Amazing. Woo hoo for you! They look very moist.

Comment

• smokinfatties
                      smokinfatties commented
                      Editing a comment
                      they were so moist! I have the best slow motion video of squeezing the rendered fat out of them, but not sure how to upload it here from my iphone

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here