Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket point or flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket point or flat?

I've been searching the forums for about an hour and although I've learned lots, I still don't have my answer. I cooked a brisket point last week and it turned out great. While looking online at different meat sellers, I've noticed that most of them sell the flat and not the point.

So... which is better and more tender? I would assume the flat would be tougher with less flavor, as it has less fat, and the point would be moister and more tender.

You assume pretty much correctly ... although you may get differing opinions from around the Pit about which is "better".

Comment

I am in total agreement with your assumptions. I usually cook a whole packer but without a doubt, the point is my favoritest part!!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        As a matter of semantics/terminology, I refer to the "point" as that end of the packet with 2 muscles (separated by the deckle fat), while the "flat" is the end with just one muscle layer.

The point is much more tender by far than the flat by it self. But consider a whole packer; I found the flat portion directly under the point to be spectacular! The fat in the point renders down and just soaks that flat portion in flavor!

Comment

Point is more tender and more flavorful. I usually cook the flat though, it's smaller, not as time consuming and can taste outstanding if done right. I cook for just my wife and me so the flat is the perfect size.

Comment

If you get a whole packer but don't want to cook it all at once, cook the point portion (both muscles), and corn the flat portion.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here