Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepping a Whole Packer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepping a Whole Packer

Did I trim this up okay? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	162640 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	162641 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	162642 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	162643

Looks good to me. You will find many opinions on how much fat to leave. the one thing I prefer to do is trim as much fat from between the two muscles ( flat and cap ) as I can. It not only leaves less fat to render but also gives you more meat surface to treat - salt and rub ect. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160422_215540.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	162692

Comment

Nice Trim job! Looks like you left some on the side. Smart! I like to leave just enough so that it will render down over the long cook and sit in the foil pan underneath to keep things moist. But if you leave it on the top, the rub won't penetrate.
      Just like jharner said, you'll get many varying opinions.

Comment

It sure looks like you did to me. You did really nice job of trimming out that huge piece of fat between the flat and the point.

Comment

I might trim the outside fat a little bit thinner, but what you have is OK. I am not one to trim as much of the fat between the two muscles as some do and I do not separate the two. I want to make sure that when it's eatin time, the slices I get come from that region. That is what they call the "juicy" part.

Comment

CRO I do a cross b/n you and jharner

Comment

Thanks for the input.
              I will be cutting this in two about 5" from the top of the point since I will be cooking in the PBC. Instead of my normal Oakridge Black Ops, I'm going to use the simple 50/50 pepper and kosher salt, no slather either.

Comment

Good luck, you've got this.

Comment

I Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	162835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	162836 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	162837 n the fridge until tomorrow morning
                  Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Looks awesome! My favorite spice mix too! What time is dinner and what can I bring?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here