Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second attempt @ brisket - still not there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second attempt @ brisket - still not there.

Today was my second shot at a brisket - first using the SNS. The brisket was a small one, (about 2.5 lbs), I found at Costco some time ago. It came out of the freezer Sunday and I dry brined it after it defrosted. Then it went in the refrigerator wrapped until this morning. I rubbed it with Montreal Steak Seasoning around 7AM and put it back in the fridge. I started getting the cooker ready around 9:30AM and was ready to put the meat on around 10AM. The meat went in the freezer about 15 min before it went on the grill.
    Temps pretty much stayed in the 225F to 245F range, but we had to go out for several hours, so I don't know what happened while we were gone. It was about 240F when we got home at about 6 hrs into the cook. I thought I was going to have a smoked brick, but the meat temp was only 165F. I waited a bit to see if it was out of the stall, and when it got to 170F I wrapped it. It took a total of 7.5 hrs for that one inch thick, 2.5 lb hunk o' meat to get to 201F. I pulled it then because it was starting to rain and the grill is not covered. Then I coolered it for an hour before slicing it.
    It was tender but dry - not bone dry, but not moist and juicy either. I saved the juices from the foil wrap, and that helped. BTW - it had a great smoke ring - almost 1/4" and deep colored. We really liked the MSS I rubbed it with, so that was a positive.
    So is 7.5 hrs in the ballpark for a small brisket like mine? Any suggestions for a juicier finished product would be appreciated.
    Thanx ~ Ron

What grade of beef was it? How did you defrost it on Sunday?
    Higher grades make better brisket, that's less dry. If it was Prime, 201 might have been a smidge too far, but probably not.
    Keep trying. Have fun with it. Probe for tenderness. You WILL get better.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a choice flat with a little marbling and a thin 50 cent size "fat cap". Defrosting took place in the vacuum bag on the counter.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      It is really hard to make a brisket that small tender because the surface to meat ratio is so high a lot of moisture evaporates. Try a big slab, and freeze the leftovers.

Was it a flat? They can get dry. It sounds like you did it by the book. I am finding there is a little bit of an "art" to brisket. After you have a bark you like you need to probe it for tenderness. These are learned from experience. I am still learning them. The sooner you start probing the meat the sooner you will start learning what it feels like and will be able to associate it with a cut of meat and a cook. This is the experience that we are all addicted to! The other thing is each cut of meat has its own uniqueness. They can turn out perfect doing it the exact same way. One last thing I noticed almost any home smoke brisket will be better than something you bought.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - it was a flat. I guess I just need more practice...

I have only done a small flat alone maybe once, so ymmv, but I would not be surprised if it may cook a little dry.

Keep cooking them, and you will learn more about briskets and your cooker.

Love your commitment to putting a cold piece of meat in there so it's in the best place to get that pretty pink smoke ring!

I don't think freezing meat helps with moisture retention either, but I'm trying to recall what Meathead has said on the subject, and it's not coming to mind..

Comment

Flats do tend to be dry. Love the point myself. I only cook flat because it comes attached to the point. Try bringing the meat closer to room temp before cooking instead of freezing. You are prolonging the cook & just adding to the drying time. You may get a little less "smoke ring" but that is just cosmetic. It doesn't add any "taste".

Comment

I'll echo everyone else's words and make a general statement- flats are dry no matter what you do. You can inject, you can use Wagyu/Kobe, you can take them only up to 195 then cambro, you can try little things here & there to make them less dry but they are what they are for the most part. Sounds like you did everything correctly.

But since there are no pics no one believes this ever happened

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, "No Pics-Never Happened the Words of a True Cynic!" 😙🤔😇🤔😙. From Fargo ND, Dan

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          True dat Danjohnston949, but it is also a charter rule of the Pit! The other night I did my first ever reverse sear burgers, but forgot to take pics so it didn't happen and I didn't post it.

Thanx all for the comments and ideas. I need to convince my wife that the cost of briskets is just another cost of my "hobby". And that it's not a waste if they don't come out well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here