Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic Brisket, old school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is about 5 hours in....PBC temps vary a LOT more than the BGE - I've throttled it back for a while to get around 230 temps, took off the foil, and a few briquets and let the temp go up again for a bit again....Looked like rain here, had a few sprinkles so took a preemptive strike before it pours....

Comment

• CRO
      CRO commented
      Editing a comment
      Flyby, nice GB canopy! I got one too. Go Pack Go
      Oh, good looking brisket

No idea why the pics get rotated 90 degrees....

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      When I click on the photo after it has opened, it rights itself.

Originally posted by flyby View Post
    No idea why the pics get rotated 90 degrees....
    Happens to me when I take pics with my iPhone. If you edit each pic even very slightly then save it, it's orientation will be saved also and it'll be right side up when posted.

Comment

flyby , one of these times you should just let your PBC find its sweet spot. They're built to run at 260 to 280, (as I've found with the two PBC's I've had), and the end result is the same as trying to starve the fire to run at 225. Not that the fire is starved so much that the dreaded white smoke/ash result, but you know what I mean. Even the "great" Myron Mixon smokes his meats at temps higher than 225.

That's not to say that 225 is bad, I'm just saying that you should, at least for one cook, let that PBC do its thing, which it does very well.

I used to fiddle a lot with the PBC temps. Now I find that, assuming I get a good light in the beginning, less interaction is usually just right, at least for the results I've come to expect. Except for poultry. I keep those temps up in the 330-360 range or higher, using whatever tricks it takes.

Kathryn

Comment

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Morning Kathryn
        It seems like you have your PBC dialed in pretty good. What temps do you get with your cooks? With mine, after the two hour mark my temps shoot north of 340 and stay there awhile before the settle in. I would love to get it to where they settle in at the 280 - 310 range.
        Dave

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        CRO , my PBC loves to find a sweet spot in the 270 to 290 range. After 3 or 4 hours, it wants to start dropping the temp, so I let it drop until about 240 before I do something to goose it back up again. The rest of my answer is too long. I'll send you a PM.
        Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; April 25, 2016, 06:38 AM.

Thanks for the photo info - just didn't want everyone to think I was on my second case of beer, laying on my side taking pics..

I do wish I could post the smells.... just about ready to wrap the brisket, go from rebar to grill and bring it up to 200.... Wonderful smell!!!!

Comment

It's done. Just took the foil off the pan and I'll let the bark set while the fire goes out. It can rest in the smoker for a couple of hours just fine.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Mouth watering baby!!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes me want to grab a knife and fork.

Looks guuuuuuud boftx

Comment

Looks mighty tasty.

Comment

Well....how was it?
            Looks very good

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              I've done better, but it was quite acceptable.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here