Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic Brisket, old school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Brisket, old school

Gonna tease y'all a little bit. Went to my local butcher shop (John Mull's) to get the main ingredient. Gonna start cooking this puppy around midnight. It weighed in at about 9lbs after trimming.

More to come tomorrow during/after the cook.

Here is the rig and the firebox setup. I took these now because it will probably be too dark for decent pics at midnight.

Six hours in, looking good.
    Last edited by boftx; April 24, 2016, 07:09 AM. Reason: 6 hur update.

I'm already looking forward to tomorrow! Are you going to stay awake with it or set it and forget it? Either way, good luck!

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeppers.

• ribeyeguy
      ribeyeguy commented
      Editing a comment
      That's usually about when I get up to take a leak. If it happens tonight I'll make it a point to check in on your progress.

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, the expression "TMI" comes to mind.

boftx - I just HATE these progressive posts!

I'm not a patient man.

Here's to a great cook! You do have a nice supply of a certain cold adult beverage of choice to keep you company while you slave over a hot fire, right?

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh hell yes!

I don't see any marbling, I see good fat striations in the point, marbling is well, marbled. hehehehe

I've had VERY dry Prime flat and very juicy choice flat. Once you get to Choice grade, as you attest to, the pile of meat cooking the meat has more to do with it.

Higher grades also offer overly fatty point parts (especially on the sides) that don't render down worth a crap.

Comment

'Bout time we see a pic of your cook! Hee hee.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        boftx I don't recall anyone...? You live in a great climate for using one. Little tougher in single digit winter weather, yet still not impossible. You have the skill to run it, many new Qers might not.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        If I can do it, anyone can. Just gotta love good BBQ enough to do it yourself instead of settling for the stuff that others call BBQ.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree boftx

9 lbs putting it on around midnight... What's your target temp and how long are you expecting the cook to take?

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        I expect to take it to about 200 - 205, cooking at 225 - 275. I'll cheat a little and pan at about 165 - 170 and probably make burnt ends at that time from that thin section of the flat. With luck we'll be eating between 3 and 5PM.

I love the "old school" way boftx ...BTW I don't call it slaving I call it FUN!

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to confess that it's not pure old school now, I wouldn't dream of cooking without my Mav. (But I could if I had to.)

Have fun, looking forward to pics of the final results. I am putting a 13.5 lb ( before trimming ) on my pellet grill about 4:30 am

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        What temp are you going to cook at and when do you expect it to be done?

• jharner
        jharner commented
        Editing a comment
        225 - 250 I usually wrap about 175 - 180 internal. My past cooks with this size brisket have been 9 to 10 hours. Then it goes in the faux cambro

boftx ... Pan?

Did they use pans in the old school?

I'll give you a pass on the Maverick for sure.👍

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Break granted... I'm sure it will come out fantastic.👍

I was in Vegas in December. I should have looked you up.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        The door is always open. Every weekend there is something in the smoker. I never know what it will be, it all depends on what I can find on the side of the road.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully some high grade cow gets through a broken fence and gets hit by a slow moving Mini Cooper. That would be great road kill.👌

boftx ...

My best old school cook was my "No Peek" 16 hour cook in my BGE a few years ago. I too cheated in that I used a DigiQ Dx2.

I dry brined the pork butts the night before. The next evening I fired up the BGE and got it to 225°. Then I put on 16 pounds of pork butts, inserted the proper probes and closed the dome. 16 hours later my meat thermometer told me the meat was at 203°. I opened the dome and pulled my butts off and wrapped them in foil.

I never opened the dome to peek. I only did that to see if I had the discipline and the trust in my gear to pull it off. I actually posted that cook on AR with pictures a few years ago.

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        That works for me. But I'm not above taking a sample or two along the way when it is safe to do so to be sure the flavor is right.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never done a no peek cook since that one. I just wanted to see if I could. Meathead commented on that post that you really DON'T have to never lift you dome.

Rub on, fire going, now we just wait.

Comment

Sweet. I'm about to reload, those three butts are eatin' up that charcoal. I did get them to 150 in 3.5 hours.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been running between 225 and 250, meat is at 110 but I think my probe placement is off. Not worried about it til meat reads about 150.

Six hours into the cook, entering the stall at about 160 it seems. Looking good.

Comment

Looking mighty fine! Doing one this weekend on the PBC, untrimmed weight was 12.7# of USDA Choice that has sat in the cryovac bag in the fridge for the last 10 days . Trimmed the fat cap, little kosher salt, and PBC Beef and Game Rub. This was one long brisket, had to lop about 6" off the flat just to even hang it in the PBC. Temps have stabilized in the cooker around 250, maybe falling just a little over time. Added a few hunks of hickory to the basket.... Sure is smelling great! After about 2.5 hours, the temp is 150, very slowly creeping up.... This is some fun stuff!

Comment

12 hours in and the meat is at 190. I panned it shortly after that last picture I posted. Won't be long now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here