Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Round Pastrami and Corned beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Round Pastrami and Corned beef

Has anyone here heard of making pastrami and corned beef from Top Round? I was at my local deli yesterday, and noticed they had both pastrami and corned beef in brisket, and top round. I guess it's the method more than the cut of meat, then?

I would think. Katz supposedly uses navel. I like flat but plan to do a flat and a point as soon as I get some more prague powder.

Comment

Most of the corned beef and pastrami you see in the supermarket deli, cut at the counter or pre-sliced packages, is some type of round. When I went to the supermarket recently to buy some corned beef in the bag for pastrami, the butcher brought out a case of corned round. I'd never seen that before and I passed. Yes, it's the process and the spices, but the cut of meat surely makes a difference. With round they can advertise it as "low fat" (compared to what?), and it holds together better for machine slicing. Brisket is coarser, fattier, tastier, and it won't hold together well for machine slicing. Check MH's page on pastrami: he says, don't try to slice it by machine; it falls apart. I confess, I buy the round sliced occasionally when I'm desperate for a sandwich and don't have any in the freezer. But I think deli roast beef, in any flavor, is generally better (it's also usually round).

Comment

I guess the round caught my eye because at least here in Baltimore area, round is less expensive than brisket, except around St. Patty's Day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here