Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef clod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef clod

So I've become fascinated by the thought of smoked beef clod. I've done enough research to tell me (antidotal of course) that injection is good and expect a 20 -24 hour cook. So..... Wrap? No wrap? I've seen basters after them with a brush every hour. ( no wonder it was 24 hours) and some other ideas ..... Any insight oh great men and women of meat ? 😄

I'd let that sucker roll and get plenty dark and probably eventually wrap it and take it up to about 195 internal since I would plan on slicing.

Comment

• BBQ Tim
      BBQ Tim commented
      Editing a comment
      Watching a few videos it appears to have a fattier "point" (for lack of a better term) that many are shredding Seems to have a lot of different cuts all rolled up into one big hunk of beefy goodness! Definitely looks like it will yield some tasty slices as well

We serve that here in Texas. Mainly central Hill country. I have never heard of it taking nearly that long though.My theory is if ain't gotta lotta fat in tha fibers....Wrap it!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      @Pork_Lord, love that name! But in Texas...shouldn't it be @Beef_Lord?

Doesn't Clem Mekeska's http://clembbq.com/ in Temple serve clod, or some other beef roast, instead of brisket?

• Pork Lord
      Pork Lord commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork Lord just sounds better is all. Better ring than Beef Lord to my ears.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      ten-four

Hill country clod, in my opinion, is better than brisket. It has that rich chuck taste. The clod at Smitty's in Lockhart was wonderful.

Comment

We use clod at work quite a bit. Good, and very versatile. Recipes on request. I got a million of 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
        Recipes on request. I got a million of 'em!
        OK, what's your best?

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Stuffed, or unstuffed?

• BBQ Tim
          BBQ Tim commented
          Editing a comment
          Stuffed. Now that sounds avante garde!!

I'm going to ask for simple, unstuffed Strat50 Something most of us could do on our standard equipment.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

OK, what's another name for 'clod', since that piece of meat doesn't register in my brain ?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceB View Post
            OK, what's another name for 'clod', since that piece of meat doesn't register in my brain ?
            It's basically a large chuck, the upper portion of the chuck. The beef equivalent to pork butt.

Comment

At work, we use the clod "tender" or mock tender(terres major muscle); although these recipes will work for any part of the clod. It is also deadly with tri-tip, top sirloin, etc.

You must have a Jaccard for this. With a proper Jaccarding, you can cook the terries major to normal steak temps. The Jaccarding will flatten the meat some, that's normal. You just need enough thickness to cut a pocket, if you choose to stuff the clod. We'll get to the stuffed part in a sec.

Okay, if you have Jaccarded your clod(3 times through each side, at opposite 45 degree angles, then at 90 degrees) you are ready to either marinate or rub before broiling. Oops, I forgot to mention that if you have a big clod, cut it WITH the grain about 1-½ inches thick.If you are using clod tenders, just remove any silver skin before jaccarding, as the grunt work ( well most of it..lol) has been done for you. This treatment is crucial for good results, especially for those rare to med. rare folks. What you will now have, is something that can be cooked and sliced London Broil style. Thin slices across the grain after the cook is finished.

Now, the recipes:

Kalbi(a type of Korean BBQ) Marinade:

For every 2#(or so) of beef mix ½ cup soy sauce, ½ cup brown sugar(white works too), ¼ cup thin sliced green onions, 2 Tblsp. sesame oil, 2 Tblsp. chili paste(Sambal Olek or equivalent) 1 Tblsp. grated fresh ginger, and 1 Tblsp. chopped fresh garlic. To this mix, add about 2 Tblsp. oil. Marinate 2 hours, then grill using your favorite method for steak. You will get a bit of char, and that's good here.

"Bronzed" steak:
              Salt steak to your house standards, and let rest while you mix the blackening mix.
              Blackening mix: 3 Tblsp. paprika, 1 Tblsp. smoked paprika(do not omit this, trust me), 2 tsp. each of oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder(granulated is fine too), and 1 tsp. each of black pepper, white pepper, and cayenne pepper.
              Rub the meat, let stand 15-30 minutes, then spray with cooking spray and grill. You'll get a bit of black, and a deep "bronze" color when grilled.

"London Broil":
              Equal portions of salt, black pepper. granulated garlic and onion. Add to a bit of oil, then "marinate" in the fridge for a couple hours, then grill to your desired temp. If you want worchestshire, bast as you cook.

Stuffed Steak:

Bleu Cheese, bacon and mushroom stuffing:
              Fry 4-6 oz. chopped bacon till crisp. Remove from pan and add ½ pound sliced, or chopped mushrooms to bacon drippings and sauté till all the mushroom liquid is gone, and mushrooms start to caramelize. Then, add 1 Tblsp. chopped shallots and brown. When browned, add ¼ cup white wine and reduce till almost dry. Add 1 tsp. fresh thyme, remove from heat and cool. When mixture has cooled, combine mixture with the previously cooked bacon, and ½ cup bleu cheese crumbles.
              Using a boning, fillet, or french knife, cut a pocket in the pre-Jaccarded steak,stuff, then season the outside with salt and pepper, then grill.
              Last edited by Strat50; April 20, 2016, 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                Strat50 What is a Jaccard?

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                A hand tenderizer. Jaccard is the brand name, although there are other brands too.

Okay, time for round two:

Crab and lobster stuffed steak with Creole Hollandaise:

Stuffing:
              Fry 6 oz. bacon till crisp, then remove from pan, lower heat.
              Sweat ½ cup(each) of the "cajun trinity"(fine diced onion, celery, bell pepper) in the bacon grease till cooked through, then add 1 Tblsp chopped garlic and 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning. Sweat for a couple minutes till the garlic becomes fragrant, then add 2 Tblsp. flour and mix well. Then, add 2 cups ½ and ½ or cream and simmer till thick. Remove from heat, and chill. When chilled, add ¾ cup COOKED lobster meat(langoustino is fine) and ½ cup of crab meat(also cooked). Then, add ½ pound grated swiss cheese or pepperjack, the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of ½ lemon. Add the cooked bacon and set aside. Cooked shrimp, scallops, etc. can also be used. The thing to remember, is the seafood will be going inside a steak. So, if you use raw seafood and your steak is cooked to "normal" temps, you can make someone sick.

Cut a pocket in your clod, as described in my previous post, and stuff. Using the bronzing method from the above post, cook the steak till medium. Medium and up will insure the cheese in the stuffing turns to melty goodness.

Creole hollandaise(cheating, but good cheating..lol):
              Knorr hollandaise sauce mix prepared to package directions. Add to this some blackening seasoning from the above recipe to taste, then some lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest. Top your grilled steak, and enjoy.

Okay, now we'll go off the reservation a bit.

Blackened Steak Arabiata:

Sauce:
              Fry 4-6 oz. bacon(beginning to see a theme? lol), reduce heat and add 1 medium onion(julienned) and ½ pound sliced mushrooms. Cook till mixture starts to caramelize, then add 3 Tblsp. flour and cook till flour is light brown. Add 3 cups ½ and ½ or cream, and cook till thickened. Then, add the above blackening mix to taste. Keep hot for service.

Cook enough pasta(linguini, angel hair, or other long pasta) for service according to package directions, drain (do NOT rinse), toss with a bit of kosher salt and oil. Set aside for service.

Bronze some steak, as described earlier, to desired doneness, and let rest for a few minutes.

As you can see, this is a pasta dish, so there are a few cool things we can do besides just the steak. If you want a lighter dish, substitute chicken stock for cream. When substituting chicken stock for cream, this opens up a ton of possibilities using other grilled stuff, such as chicken, seafood, etc., for this dish.But, back to beef...lol

Place pasta in bowl to suit, ladle some sauce , then top with sliced steak and parmesan or romano cheese.

The above recipe is a "base" recipe, but one can add a ton of fun to this dish by grilling vegetables too. Use your favorite method, or just make a mix of extra virgin olive oil(one of the few times evoo is needed), and chopped garlic to rub on the veggies. Then salt, pepper, and grill. When veggies are cooked, drizzle some fresh squeezed lemon juice over the veggies and use to top the pasta and sauce, along with the steak.

As you can see here, the above is as much a methodology as it is a recipe. One can substitute and mix and match a ton of different stuff to suit what you have on hand. The idea is to have a savory pasta topped with grilled goodness. By all means, one can use rice, polenta(grits baby!), or other starch depending on what your needs are.

This method is tailor made for reverse searing/sous vide style preparation. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I knew if I entered The Pit these masters of meat could help Thanks all (especially Strat50) gave me lots of ideas and inspiration Just need to see my butcher now! I'll post results later in the spring

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here