Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sunday tri-tip dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sunday tri-tip dinner

so the freezers are getting full and i decided to reorganize to get a better idea of what we had and what needed to be used up. lo and behold i had a frozen prime grade tri tip at the bottom that i forgot i bought last year! heck yeah! i know my wife has been asking for this so it works out.

i trimmed and dry brined on friday with the intention of doing the cook on saturday, we changed our minds and decide to cook it on sunday. ~2 days in the fridge dry brining, elevated above the pan on a grate really makes the meat dry out in my fridge. i must have a very dry fridge. my question to anyone: is that prefered or not? if i leave beef sitting in the fridge for several days it sucks all at the water out of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160417_130005.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	158052

i put some mustard on to give it some moisture back and seasoned with pepper, garlic powder, and paprika and a little more salt. i fired up the smoker and cooked it for 2 hours with 2oz of mesquite (which i thought was a mistake since it smelled like potpourri when it started smoking).

i took it off at 125 and i seared it on my weber Q300 for a few minutes. i would have taken it off earlier but the wife prefers medium, not medium rare like i do.

i had worries. i was worried about the flavor of the mesquite (i had never used it before), i was worried that i over paprika'd it, i was worried that it was overly dried out from being in the fridge for an extra day, i was worried that i overcooked it when i seared it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160417_192630.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	158053

in the end i had nothing to worry about. the mesquite gave it a little flavor (almost like a charcoal grill taste) and i don't know if the drying out hurt it at all. it was an itty bit too paprika'y but it was great. i cut into it and juice just flowed out. i really should buy this thing more often.

Gorgeous!!

Comment

DeusDingo, 👍👍👍👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I just ate dinner and that pic makes me hungry!

Comment

Dry beef is usually good, it helps with the bark/crust. Usually grocery store "American" paprika is largely flavorless. Looks great!

Comment

Looks good enough to eat...

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

Nice!

Tri tip is awesome...

Comment

That's pretty much the same thing I do. Slow smoke 'em to about 115 - 120 then sear to 125 - 130. Let 'em rest for a few minutes then enjoy the praise. I do both steaks (thick cut) and roasts like this.

That looks fine to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here