Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin on trimming brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin on trimming brisket

I came across this video of Aaron Franklin giving a class on how to trim a brisket at A&M. Wish they had mic'd him better than the guy next to him. I was intrigued by how much he cut off.

You should also check out his other videos on YouTube, if you haven't already.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen a few. The ones he produces are much better than this. But not come across him trimming brisket. I'll look deeper. I've never done a brisket (slightly intimidated) but am going to fire one up this summer. Trying to absorb as much info as a I can beforehand

Agreed, his other videos are much easier to follow as are the pix in his book. Franklin trims brutally and admits it. He starts with only prime brisket and therefore has plenty of fat to trim. His briskets come straight out of the cryovac bags from the processor so they have not been previously trimmed by the meat guy at the grocery store. He's also very OCD about presentation as he is in the business of selling a top notch product and wants his presentation to be as top notch as the taste. Plus he recycles a fair bit of his trim as sausage so not all that much is actually thrown away. If you're cooking for yourself & not necessarily for retail sale, you can get a very delicious product without quite as much trimming as Aaron does. Leaving some of the tags & thinner edges just gives you more "burnt ends" pieces which ain't an all bad thing either.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      This makes a lot of sense.

Well the main thing I picked up from watching him trim briskets is the consideration of heat flow. Since he has an offset he is basically making a bullet and showing how the idea is for the heat to flow over the top and use the fat as protection. Made me put my briskets in my egg fat side down. Also try to wrap the flat early since on the egg the bottom heat is consistent.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I was interested by that too. In the preface of his book the cowriter says Aaron spends a lot of time thinking about how smoke flows.

Obi-Dan you are over thinking one chunk of meat.

That PBC turns out an awesome brisket.

Comment

Two things.

First, I agree with HorseDoctor that Franklin trims for sale. I trim for eating, so if it's red, it doesn't get trimmed!

Second, Obi-Dan, I agree with Jerod Broussard that you are thinking too hard. I thought about brisket for a couple years before I decided to do one. Once it's over the heat you wonder what you were thinking about. Take that clod of meat and cook it!

Comment

I would say read his book but it seems like you already have.

Aaron does use expensive meat. He does give great advice about how to approach bbq.

Aaron does not give away all his secrets, however.

Good luck on your first brisket my friend!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement ya'll. I'll post pics when I get around to trying one. Going to be traveling a bit for the next five weeks so will probably try one this summer.

Comment

You can do it Obi-Dan ! I was intimidated of doing a brisket for years. It wasn't until finding this site, and Meathead's detailed information about cooking the perfect Texas brisket, that I got up the courage to try one. Followed his directions exactly and it turned out awesome. Now I've done several and it's no big deal. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here