Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I'm going this this weekend with store-corned beef. I read that you let it sit in the rub uncovered in the fridge so the rub doesn't stick to the wrapper. What if you have a "defrosting" fridge? It will start dehydrating the meat if I have it uncovered. I've used this aspect to dry peppers LOL Will 24 hours in this environment make a difference? Make it better?

Comment

If I've got about 8lbs of brisket pastrami I've smoked, vacuum sealed and refrigerated, should I preheat the water before starting the sv (195 @ 4 hrs)? Seems like all that cold meat and the larger volume of water would make it tough for the sv to get it up to temp. And, at 195, is there any risk of melting the bags (ziploc or vacuum) or leakage? Don't want to blow it having done all this work up to this point.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        You should always pre-heat your SV. Otherwise, depending on the thermal mass you put into the bath, you run the risk of putting the temp down into the danger zone. I usually rely on just using hot water from the tap, but again, depends on the amount of thermal mass. Zip lock bags, I don't use, but from comments on forums, you do need to watch them at high temps. Foodsaver bags I've never had a problem with.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on pkadare and fzxdoc comments. Preheat. And I have never used ziplock bags; I always use foodsaver bags.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        You can boil vacuum bags, but zippers may leak, so I suggest double bagging if using them.

gabulldog , according to the Chef Steps website Ziploc bags fail at temps above 158° so they recommend at temps above that to use heavy duty sous vide bags. I have used Heavy Duty FoodSaver Gamesaver bags without a problem. You can get them at Walmart.

And yes, preheat the water. The idea would be for the meat to come up to temp through the unsafe zone (40 to 140°) as quickly as possible. At least that's my thought process, being pretty food-safety conscious in the kitchen.

Are you doing QVQ or just QV? Just curious. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by SenatorShriv View Post
        This was extremely helpful. I corned a bunch of moose a while back and today something inspired me to get it out and do something with it. I decided I wanted to give pastrami a whirl. I'm going to try two different methods at the same time:

1. Sous vide first for about 48 hours. I'll then let it cool a bit, hit it with the rub and move it onto the smoker.

2. The reverse of #1 - closer to what David Parrish describes above. Rub ---> Smoke ---> Sous vide finish.

I'm fairly sure #2 is going to win but it certainly doesn't hurt to experiment!
        I do the sous vide first as well. 36 hours at 165F, chill in the fridge then smoker to just warm the meat up and give it some smoke. About 30% weight loss during sous vide though and I don't trim, I let the sous vide take care of that.

Comment

Just because I don't want to see you sicken and die, I'll restate what others have said... ALWAYS PREHEAT. Even with small amounts of food in relation to the amount of water. You want to the food to zoom through the unsafe zone and get to the water temp as fast as possible where (assuming you're over 130F) it will pasteurize .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8D0F0528-BE51-4CEF-A937-D1D743C25C47.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	969230 It might look better than mine but Katz’s deli and those Toronto boys don’t have anything on how this tastes. Most of it gone by the time I took pics
            Click image for larger version

Name:	4BAC582D-0505-4650-83DD-983EAB53554A.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	969229

Comment

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks just about perfect! I love this method for doing pastrami.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Nailed it!

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Where do you live? I'm on my way for summa dat.......

This was one of the best things that I have ever made.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_145464.jpg Views:	46 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1040280
            employee monitoring software
            Last edited by BpiccuK2; June 9, 2021, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great and welcome to The Pit.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I say every time I make it

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd eat that !!!

Very honored to see this thread still getting attention!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              The technique you outlined here is the best pastrami I've ever made, and the only method I plan to use going forward! SNS Deluxe Kamado meets new fangled electronic sous vide gadget... I was looking for uses for the Anova or else was going to get rid of it...

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              Your technique is the only way I make it anymore. Can't thank you enough for sharing it with us!

• Schwyy
              Schwyy commented
              Editing a comment
              I've mentioned in the prior comments that this recipe alone is worth a Year's membership

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here