Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But where's that pastrami Reuben?

Comment

The Reuben has to wait till I finish work and get to the shop. This is all I had to work with for lunch and it was delicious 😋

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0286.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	306953

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks amazing. Especially with that Jarlsberg cheese melting into everything. I love that stuff

Pastrami Reuben? Its right here EdF

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0293.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	307020
      Light rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, pastrami and homemade Russian dressing....And beer of course!
      👍👍

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what we're talking about!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Here we go!!! Your killing me right now. No breakfast or lunch yet!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh YEAH!!

Question for you more experienced types. Although I have an Anova SV, I was wondering if anyone has tried finishing the roast in a pressure cooker? It should only take 45-60 mins to fully steam. I have had amazing results cooking chickens this way for making chicken soups.

Comment

Originally posted by Philo in AZ View Post
        Question for you more experienced types. Although I have an Anova SV, I was wondering if anyone has tried finishing the roast in a pressure cooker? It should only take 45-60 mins to fully steam. I have had amazing results cooking chickens this way for making chicken soups.
        There is no harm in trying. But the reason I like to SV the pastrami, instead of steaming, is because I want to try to preserve the bark that was formed during the smoking step. I also want to further break down the connective tissues etc.

I am curious, give it a try. That is how I discovered I like SV better than steaming. Let us know what you come up with.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker. I might just try two flats and pressure cook one and SV the other. Good thing flats from Costco are pretty cheap!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the only way to get points is to buy the packers. The flats are not serrated at the store, so they don't sell them separately. I wish they did. I would be all over that! However, maybe the are grinding them up for something else too. Who knows.

• Philo in AZ
            Philo in AZ commented
            Editing a comment
            You can buy separate flats at my Costco. I haven't seen packs of boneless short ribs but will ask tomorrow since I am already going. I am defrosting a boston butt for pulled pork this week so I have a little room in the freezer at the moment.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I would. You probably won't need to PC very long, certainly less than a half-hour, maybe even half of that once it comes up to pressure.

Philo in AZ How much more money are they than the packers, per lb? Our Packers are $2.89/lb for Prime and $8.99/lb for choice flats. I just buy the whole packer. I get a better flat and the marbly point is an added bonus.

I do wish my Costco had short ribs. This recipe would be fun to do with shorties. (As Dave did) It would probably be much easier, actually. Especially when calculating, as you said.

Comment

I'll report back tomorrow. I think I'll go in and do some price comparing and record some pricing. Be nice to have price gouge stored on my phone.

Comment

Dry Pastrami
              I've been making pastrami for my restaurant for a year. Was using navel cut but the amount of labor to slice it and the yield made it awfully difficult to justify (but it did taste great) Using brisket now, brining for 10 days, a day in the clear water, 3 days in the spices and then smoking for 6 hours to get to 170. Steaming for 3 hours till 205. Point taste great but the flat is dry, though tasty. Any thought on how to get the flat not so dry, flavor not an issue????

Comment

I loved corned beef and the homemade recipe on this site. So I had to try this recipe. I ended up getting bone-in short ribs, which I cured for 10 days. My wife came home with small (3lb) beef and bison briskets from the farmers market. So I put all of these on the smoker this morning at 250F, then moved all but the pork belly to the SV after about 4.5 hours. I ran the SV for about 5 hours at 195F. The short ribs are truly awesome, and the briskets are very good too, even the lean bison brisket. I gotta try this with a large brisket next!

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pictures? Sounds great. I've got to find the short rib plate.

David Parrish did you use the optional pickling spices when you made the corned beef?

Comment

That looks great! I haven't tried a pastrami yet but need to soon...

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is my favorite thing to make on the site. you would love it.

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
                  David Parrish did you use the optional pickling spices when you made the corned beef?
                  Yep!

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, Dave. Would love to see ABCBBQ make a youtube video on this.

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe some day. This would be a very big undertaking.

Greeting !
                  Braving a (possibly) stupid post: I'm trying to do this Katz's Pastrami but as recommended here - finish Sous Vide (195Fx4hr) instead of steaming.
                  What do I do in between? I mean I can't just put the meat off the Kamado into the plastic bag, right? Should I shock-cool the meat before that? Wait on the counter top for a couple hours? Refrigirate?

Sorry, I know it sounds dumb, but...

Thank you! Zevi.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to the pit!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you're finishing at 195, there's no reason to wait other than so you can handle it. I haven't used SV to finish pastrami, but that does seem a bit high.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have tried it both ways. Steam and SV at 195 X 4 makes some crazy good pastrami. Way better than steaming. IMHO

Originally posted by Zevi View Post
                  Greeting !
                  Braving a (possibly) stupid post: I'm trying to do this Katz's Pastrami but as recommended here - finish Sous Vide (195Fx4hr) instead of steaming.
                  What do I do in between? I mean I can't just put the meat off the Kamado into the plastic bag, right? Should I shock-cool the meat before that? Wait on the counter top for a couple hours? Refrigirate?

Sorry, I know it sounds dumb, but...

Thank you! Zevi.
                  Welcome Zevi! We're glad you're here. You can absolutely go from smoker to SV if you want. If you are going to SV another day, it's best to shock them down to fridge temps until you're ready.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What he said!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here