Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys got me hooked!!! I want to start from scratch and make my own corned beef. Including Meatheads pickling spices ( I checked and I have everything I need ) Tomorrow I will pick up a brisket ( not to rub it in or anything but 5 mins walk up the road from my work is a newly opened abattoir with a direct to public shop attached! How lucky am I?? And they carry briskets pork shoulders short ribs asada ribs chuck wagyu steaks chicken duck breasts sausages etc etc and big bones for bone marrow pork bellies all kinds of lamb stuff wow I'm excited!!!... Best place on earth!!
    Ok relax now Steve....deep breaths....
    You guys have no idea how hard it is to get brisket down under where I am....
    Sorry got sidetracked I will keep you all posted with the progress....

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't ever hide the excitement. We all get it when we find out meat places or meat deals. I just bought six Kobe rounds because of the quality of the meat and the fact that these folks got me to finally give pastrami a try. Hooked.

Sorry I just gotta post this picture. This is just Pastrami love. Best recipe on AR, that I have made. And with @ABC Dave 's method, you cant go wrong. Just look at that color. I did nothing to doctor this pic. That is actually the color I got in the point! (sorry about my Yeti hands!)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1971.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.68 MB ID:	285529Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1972.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.45 MB ID:	285530
    And a sandwich I dropped on to my Dad's desk. This is how you keep the boss happy!! Made with part of the flat, a nice bakery fresh Rye, Kraut, Swiss and homemade 1000 island.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastrami Samie.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.93 MB ID:	285528

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Just follow this thread and you will be fine. The results are insanely good!!! Danjohnston949

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I nearly shorted my keyboard!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh boy! Me want!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	285537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	285538
    Spinaker - you are making me really hungry! I can't get enough of this stuff so here we go again today.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - I love my ICU (name of smoker). I keep telling people from CA on the site about it. Don't know if anyone has followed through and bought one.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, it looks awesome. If I was in No Cal, i would be looking into these. Is the firebox below?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - Yes - it is directly below. I actually use a lodge griddle to act as a baffle and a water pan. In has two grate shelves in the firebox as well so that you can grill in it.

Steve Vojtek, We May as Well Experiment Together! The Pic's have the Pickling Spice and Brining Recipe I am Using for Corned Beef! I have a 10 Lbs
    Brisket Flat I am going to Brine for Corned Beef, 5 Lbs will be Rubbed and Smoked for Pastrami❓ My first attempt at either❓ 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
    Good Fortune on Yours! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	285566Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	285567

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve Vojtek

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      It is my first attempt at Corned beef as well . I bought a 4 pound piece of brisket yesterday and after I get home from work I will start curing it using Meatheads recipe. Good luck to both of Us.

Danjohnston949 Spinaker and @anyone else...
    I'm so excited to do this. Dan You are using Ruhlman's recipe and I am using Meathead's one. I've looked at the pics you posted and they are similar to a degree. I will try Yours next. But this time its Meathead's with all the optional extras. I was surprised to have each and every ingredient but not really - thanks to AR, Chefsteps and Seriouseats all there in my pantry.
    So my brisket was a little over 4 pounds but after trimming spot on. I bought bottled spring water on the way home and chilled it in my fridge. Used a whisk to mix in the salt and prague powder 1 and then the brown sugar and the rest of ingredients. And Spinnaker posting the picture of that sandwich ...,.you evil man it looks soooo delicious....hmmm

The ingredients:

​

This one is a floater soo...

​

I used another plastic container upside down to keep it under - it rests against the lid and keeps everything happy

​

​​​​​​​Now it's time to wait for 7 days... Something I'm used to since I make my own bacon...Sometimes I wish I had a "time machine" but not the one from the movie Idiocracy...

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      customtrim
      To be honest I've never had pastrami but from previous experiences trying recipes on AR I've never been disappointed. They've all been awesome and I would bet anything this one will be awesome as well...Waiting is a small price to pay...

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work Steve!!! Your going to love it! Just like bacon curing, make sure you give the container a shake to mix up the ingredients. I did this daily. post some pics of the progress.

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do brother ...Thanks for the advice...

OK Question: You wet cured it for two and a half weeks? That's quite a bit longer than recommended in Meathead's article. I ask from both a safety and quality standpoint. I'd like to cure well in advance, rather than push it. Anything wrong with an extra long cure (like two and a half weeks)? Seems it should be safe as long as it's cool and clean. Any effect on quality? My two, four pound briskets have been swimming for a couple weeks. OK to wait a bit more and time it out for St. Patty's Pastrami, or should I pull them and start the desal, season, smoke, sous vide process with a freeze in there somewhere? Thanks!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      According to Meathead's article after smoking you can wrap it and refrigerate up to a week before SV or steaming. Not sure about the effect of a long cure but I've cured bacon for 2 weeks without any noticeable loss of quality.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I've gone a month in the cure before with no issue. Just make sure it passes the sniff and look test.

• LifebyC
      LifebyC commented
      Editing a comment
      I ended up going a month in the cure, 24 hours + to desalinate, 7 hours smoke, chill overnight, and 4 hours sous vide @ 195. It was FANTASTIC. Thanks all.

Name:	Pastrami flower.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	285934
    The pastrami flower just bloomed!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha, that looks awesome man!!! Oh man!!!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - that's what my wife gets for asking me to put the flower vase away! Hahahahaha

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahahahaha tbob4

RonB - That's the Kobe corned round from Costco. These pastrami folks here have me hooked! I've now cooked 4 and have 2 more in the freezer in the last week. Two have gone to a buddy at the cost of the meat - $7.99lb. It's so delicious. If you are fortunate enough to get one tag me on the thread and I will tell you what I have found about cooking, temps and spices. I reheat in SV bags instead of steaming.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Man o man - I need to get to Costco and see if mine has it. It is apparently not available online 'cause I just checked

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB - I checked online both from Costco and SRF who sells it - it must be a seasonal St. Patrick's day thing. SRF doesn't list the round on their web either.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2942.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.09 MB ID:	286116Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2944.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.40 MB ID:	286117
    Wife is not eating bread right now. So my pastrami, tri-tip, bacon sandwich became a mustard, pastrami, coleslaw, tri-tip, bacon, sauerkraut bowl for her.
    Last edited by tbob4; March 8, 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Here we go.......round two on this recipe. I can't wait. I've had multiple people tell me that I NEED to make that "Pastrami Stuff" again. So hear I am. I just picked up a 15 lb Prime Brisket from Costco. I am going to get it in the brine and hope fully be eating pastrami by next week!

Comment

Question, How much wood per pound did you use? I am researching before I try Pastrami for this first time, I am thinking Cherry wood.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Per pound of meat? I have no idea. i never figure it that way.

Originally posted by JMuseum View Post
        Question, How much wood per pound did you use? I am researching before I try Pastrami for this first time, I am thinking Cherry wood.
        When it comes to Pastrami there are many strong flavors that all should play a part. I would use a chunk or three and keep smoke as just another player in the orchestra.

Comment

JMuseum - I used oak on one cook (two pastramis) and almond/cherry/peach on the other two cooks. I don't know if it is the spices or the brining process that had this effect: The pastramis tasted identical. There was a nice hint of smoke in each of them but I could not taste the difference in the smoke. Because I have an abundance of almond and oak wood, I am not going to use my limited supply of cherry or peach on it any longer. I don't know if that helps your decision making process.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oak is KING!!! I too am saving my Cherry wood. The old man only has a few left standing on his property!! I've got Apple and Ash coming out of my ears.

Oh YEAH!!!! Firing this up again.............This time I am just curing the 4 lb flat from this packer. I am going to use the point for some burnt ends this weekend.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Brisket.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.54 MB ID:	306499
          Just got done mixing.....
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastrami Cure.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.57 MB ID:	306500
          Last edited by Spinaker; April 17, 2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

4 pound piece of flat here as well guys. No other pics except the finished product. Meathead's recipe with all optional extras... Sous vide'd at the end as per Dave's recipe..
            All I have to say is:

"WOW"

Name:	DSC_0281.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	306593

The only thing I'll change is to leave a bit more fat next time to see the difference. But yeah WOW! So awesome!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              I smoked it well into the "stall" at work (about 7 hours) and then took it home to SV it for about 4 - 5 hours. Then I shocked it in an ice bath and refrigerated it. In the morning I cut it out of the sealed bag and patted it dry with paper towels...and took a pic...

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like ya done good!

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow is right! Awesome photo. I would love to push the "like" button but this place is now making me clear my cache daily just to like something. Argh.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here