Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GutscranK View Post
    David Parrish How thick was you meat to cured it 2 1/2 weeks!? Im trying to cured mine for the first time tonight using the Prof Blonder Curing Calculator and its says i should cure my piece for 10 days,i tought its was a little bit long(but what do i know,its my first time haha). And i saw your topic and it know make sense. My brisket is 3.5 inch. And how do you know if the meat has cured long enough to be safe?
    2 weeks was more than enough time. Once cured it doesn't hurt the meat to hang out in the cure for a week or two. I had some thing going on so didn't get around to cooking as soon as I could have. Cure at least as long as the recommended time and you should be good to go!

Comment

• GutscranK
      GutscranK commented
      Editing a comment
      thx Boss

Guys I am excited to try this. I used Meathead recipe for my first time finishing yesterday. I followed to a "T" using brisket, smoking until 150 degrees and then steam til 203... and it ended up way too lean and almost tough. I'm guessing this has almost 100% to do with the fact that the brisket was too lean. I live in NYC and have Katz's everything few months for the past 15 years (as an aside I have to say the last couple Katz experiences it actually has gone downhill to my taste, actually way too fatty). My pastrami tasted OK but was on tougher side. I'll try with these short ribs next time. Also what gear is best for "sous vide"? Thanks guys. PS along w Turkeys for thanksgiving making the Myron Mixon pork shoulder recipe for Thanksgiving.. we always make just the Boston Butt as our butcher doesn't do the whole shoulder. This is a never miss with my family.. I make it on the Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker, always amazing. Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      The Anova gets high ratings across the board. The new Joule is also getting positive feedback. You may also want to get a vacuum sealer, but it's not essential starting out. The foodsaver brand is the most popular. But after going through a few of that style, I invested in a chamber sealer. Go incremental on the equipment is my advice.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

David Parrish Did you put all the wood chunk right at the beginning or one chunk at a time every couple of minutes? Tomorrow ill smoke mine and this part stress me out... I dont want to over smoke it. I dont have chunk of wood, i only have wood chips(cherry) how much Oz do you think ill need, and would you put them on the coal all at the same time or a more like a couple at a time,lets say ,every 30 minutes?

Comment

With chips, I suggest wrapping the chips in foil and punching a few holes in the top. Then lay the pouch on the coals. This will provide smoke over a longer period of time than throwing a handful of chips on the hot coals.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        With chips, I suggest wrapping the chips in foil and punching a few holes in the top. Then lay the pouch on the coals. This will provide smoke over a longer period of time than throwing a handful of chips on the hot coals.
        I 100% agree. If you punch only a few very small holes, the pouch will not only slow down the burning of the chips but it will also prevent the nasty white smoke you get if you just toss them directly on the coals.

Comment

Like they said... use a pouch!

Comment

Looks amazing! I think a sous vide machine needs to be on my list of things to obtain.

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              If you like pastrami then I'd agree!

I've been wanting to get a sous vide cooker for a while. I'll need a couple, though, as I will need to set up at least 2 cooking stations when I do steak and such - the wife likes hers way overdone compared to me! lol

But I have a pastrami on the smoker right now, I have a vacuum sealer, and I could conceivably sous vide that baby on the stove - I've done it before. But 4 hours will likely put me late into the evening, since I started it late this morning, about 1030.

Hmm... choices, choices....

Comment

Just tried this and came out great! Part of the test was using a prebrined raw brisket and it stayed juicy and tender. The crust stayed on much better than steaming has in the past. This is my go to method for pastrami for now on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	264440Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1494.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	264441

One small issue - the crust came out very peppery. Fine for me but too peppery for my wife. Does anyone think the sous vide amplified the spiciness? Should I cut back on the pepper next time or replace with some white pepper?

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good! Glad you like the recipe.

smiliepolarbear - What size grind are you using? If it's a courser grind, I think biting into a noticeable size hunk o' pepper makes the spiciness more intense. So a finer grind might help. Great lookin' meat BTW.
            Last edited by RonB; January 16, 2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• smiliepolarbear
              smiliepolarbear commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a fairly coarse grind - I'll try more of a medium grind next time.
              Thanks for the compliment.

Does any one know if I wrap the brisket once it hits the desired internal temp. I was going to let it rest over night. Then reheat tomorrow via SV to 195 F for 4 hours. SO basically, can I do the steaming tomorrow?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I do this alla th' time with briskets; cain't see why pastrami 'd be any different.
              Always comes out delicious, an' moist.

When I was a kid, we'd buy a hunk of pastrami, get it sliced, then steam it in a pan as part of the sandwich prep. I'm sure you can steam it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              Does any one know if I wrap the brisket once it hits the desired internal temp. I was going to let it rest over night. Then reheat tomorrow via SV to 195 F for 4 hours. SO basically, can I do the steaming tomorrow?
              Yes should work out great!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool boss!! Thanks!

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                You bet. We want pics!

Well here we go!!! This was one of the best things that I have ever made. I was planning on smoking the brisket on the KBQ but winds were gusting to 30 MPH, so I opted for the Kamado. It was a chore keeping it at my target of 275 F but all went well. I used some oak splits and smoked the brisket for about 8 1/2 hours until the internal was about 175 F. Then I wrapped it in butcher paper, then foil. The bark was a bit iffy from the looks of it, but it was damn tasty!! I was blown away by the flavor. Super tender after a 4 our bath in the ~Hot Tub Time Machine~, at 195 F.

Thank You to everyone that helped me through this one. I couldn't have done it with out your help!

Enough typing, here are the results........again, Blown Away!........
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami:Whole Packer.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	284608Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami:Small Point:Slices.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	284605Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami Slices (Insta#2).JPG
Views:	330
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	284606Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami:Flat Side.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	284609Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami slices (Insta).JPG
Views:	309
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	284607

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                When you reheat that in the SV (I went 150 for an hour) your eyes are going to roll into the back of your head. Seriously. I will never steam the stuff again to reheat. The flavor seals in and if you have melted cheese on bread it mixes with the cheese.....

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Easily one of the best things I've ever made. tbob4

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Gorgeous! I have a flat of corned beef in the freezer I might have to defrost for this weekend. Better yet, I'll just stop for a fresh one from the butcher Thursday night on the way home.

I'm hungry - again...

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I am too. I don know if this sucker is gonna make it into the office tomorrow . It's all gonna be gone! This stuff is amazing.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here